Esteemed Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Aunt Keli's Pickled Beets

Ingredients:

2 15 oz. cans of cooked beets

1 cup sugar
1 cup water or beet juice (what’s in the can)
1 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon pickling spice (can be found in spice section)**

Bring sugar, water, vinegar and pickling spice to a boil in large, stainless steel saucepan. Add drained beets. Boil for 10 minutes. 

Put in sterile quart jar.

**can use 2 cinnamon sticks or 8 cloves for a different flavor

Next ingredient:  Chili powder  rice (your choice)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Omurice (Omelet with Fried Rice)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tablespoons sesame or olive oil 
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup chopped cooked chicken 
1/4 cup green onions
3 tablespoons frozen peas
2 tablespoons finely diced carrots
1 container (10.6 oz) ready-to-go sticky rice (such as Hinode™ Heat & Serve white rice)
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
6 tablespoons Sriracha ketchup (or equal parts Sriracha sauce and ketchup) 
4 eggs
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon salt

Nonstick cooking spray

Directions:

1 In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium-high heat. Toss in cabbage, chicken, green onions, peas, carrots, rice, oyster sauce and 2 tablespoons ketchup. Fry until the edges of the rice begin to turn light golden.
2 Generously spray two small soup bowls with nonstick spray. Evenly divide rice between bowls, pressing the rice down in each bowl to compact. (The back of a wooden cooking spoon works well for this.)
3 In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil, half-and-half and salt.
4 Heat large skillet over low heat. Spray generously with nonstick spray. Pour half of the egg mixture into the skillet and gently swirl around until the bottom of the skillet is covered with the egg mixture. Allow to cook on low until the eggs are set. Gently slide egg onto a large square of parchment paper. Repeat with remaining egg mixture, so that you have two omelets.
5 Place plates upside down on top of each soup bowl, and carefully flip to unmold the rice in onto serving plates.
6 Gently flip the parchment papers to cover each rice mound with a sheet of cooked egg.
7 Use a butter knife to gently tuck the edges of the omelet beneath the mound of rice.
8 Optional step: for an extra-precise look, spray the soup bowls a second time with nonstick spray and gently place over each mound of egg. Flip both egg and rice upside down into the bowl. Fold the edges of the omelet around the rice, then unmold again onto serving plates.
9 Drizzle each mound with ketchup and top with scallions before serving.

Notes:  I am attaching a link to the recipe so you can see what the final product looks like and also more helpful tips and tricks.  Also please know my final product looked nothing like their final result (there was a point in the assembly process that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry) but luckily the flavors are incredibly good . . . Smiley Happy

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/omurice-omelet-with-fried-rice/d28ba3c8-69a6-4707-850f-3fef8dffda...

Next ingredient:  Aleppo Pepper Roasted Red Peppers

Hee, you can tell someone went shopping this morning . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.01.59 AM.png

Two Pesto Ricotta Dip combines layers of traditional basil pesto, roasted red pepper and sun dried tomato pesto with ricotta, goat and Parmesan cheese. Chilled in a mold, it is a beautiful red, green and white! 

Ingredients
GREEN PESTO:
  • 2 cups basil stems removed
  • 1 cup pecorino romano cheese finely grated
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 3 tablespoons pine nuts
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
BLENDED CHEESE:
  • 8 ounces ricotta cheese if watery, drained
  • 4 ounces goat cheese
  • 4 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese finely grated
RED PESTO:
  • 1 cup sun dried tomatoes not in oil
  • 16 ounce jar roasted red peppers drained and patted dry
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash black pepper
SERVE WITH:
  • Food Should Taste Good™ Blue Corn and Multigrain Chips
  • Personally,  I would serve it with baguette slices, "painted" with olive oil and toasted.
Instructions
  1. Line a high sided (3-4 inches) 6-inch round cake pan with plastic wrap.
  2. In your food processor (or heavy duty blender) combine all ingredients for green pesto. Blend until near smooth. Transfer to cake pan, spreading out into an even layer. Wash out and dry food processor bowl, lid and blade.
  3. Repeat process with blended cheese ingredients.
  4. Repeat process with red pesto ingredients.
  5. Cover with aluminum foil and chill for at least 12 hours to solidify. You can also place in the freezer for up to two weeks. If freezing, remove from refrigerator 6 hours before serving to thaw.
  6. Remove from refrigerator before serving. Invert onto a serving platter and serve. 

Recipe Notes

Do not use bottled pesto, there is too much olive oil and it will not solidify and hold properly.

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.02.12 AM.png

Next ingredient:  Left Over Pork Tenderloin

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I have a complaint! 

These recipes look so good but they make soooo much and there is just me to eat!!  

Don't have a large freezer so that is out and some just aren't the same when you divide them.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! 

I'll just suffer and drool.

Next ingredient:  Left Over Pork Tenderloin

Honored Contributor

3AD40CFB-4219-4D75-9AEB-D15DA7DEE8C4.jpeg

Let’s not give up on Chili Powder

Here is a delicious soup that is always a hit I like to make. I use regular chili powder but you can use chipotle chili powder if you prefer. 

SLOW COOKER MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP - KETO / LOW CARB
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
4 hrs
Total Time
4 hrs 10 mins

This Low Carb Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup is full of Mexican flavors. This delicious soup has everything that you would need to comfort yourself in winter.
Course: Soup
Cuisine: Mexican
Keyword: Crockpot Soup, Mexican Chicken Soup
Servings: 5 Servings
Calories: 483 kcal
Ingredients
  • 400 grams boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 200 gms plum tomato Fire-roasted
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 tbsp Minced garlic
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1.5 tsp chipotle chilli powder
  • 1 tsp paprika (Optional)
  • 1 tspn Mexican Seasoning (optional)
  • 1.5 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tspn oil (optional)
  • Fresh Cilantro leaves for garnishing
Instructions
  1. Take oil in a pan. Once hot, put minced garlic, followed by onion. Fry till Onion start to brown a little bit.

2. To a pre-heated Slow cooker, add chicken breast, crushed tomatoes, cooked Onion and garlic mixture, all the spices, warm Chicken Stock and salt.

3. Cover and let it cook on high 2-3 hours.

4. At the end of cooking using two forks shred the chicken breast.
  5. To the Crock Pot, stir in chopped bell peppers, Cream, cream cheese, Shredded cheese. Further cook on high for 20-30 minutes.

6. While serving, top it with fresh cilantro, Sour cream, Avocados

Next Ingredient: Pork tenderloin

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bourbon PORK TENDERLOINS

2 PORK TENDERLOINS

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup bourbon

4 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix together soy sauce, bourbon and brown sugar.  Add PORK TENDERLOINS to it and marinate about 2 hours. Remove meat from marinade and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours at 325.

If desired, you can serve with this Mustard Sauce.  

1 tablespoon dry mustard

A little Dijon Mustard to taste

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

4 egg yolks

1 cup heavy cream

Combine ingredients in top of double boiler and cook until thick.  Serve at room temperature with sliced TENDERLOINS.

If I have any "leftover pork tenderloins", I like to eat it cold or reheat for another dinner.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... RAISINS

Honored Contributor

@Zhills 

Ingredients
  • 1 small zucchini
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1 clove garlic , minced
  • 8 ounces ground beef , or you can use ground turkey
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt , plus a big pinch for zucchini
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3/4 cup tomato sauce , divided
  • 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese , divided
  • 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese , divided

Instructions
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
  • Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Lay the zucchini strips on a long cutting board or tray and lightly sprinkle salt over them. Let the zucchini strips sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. After this time, dry the zucchini slices with a paper towel.
  • To prepare the meat sauce, heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over a medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  • Add in the minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for a minute more.
  • Add the ground beef to the pan and sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper over the meat. Cook and stir the ground beef until meat is no longer pink.
  • Stir in 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 3 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, stir the ricotta and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Set the bowl aside.
  • To assemble the zucchini lasagna, spread 3 tablespoons of the sauce into the bottom of a lightly greased small baking dish. Line the bottom of the baking dish with slices of the zucchini. 

Top the zucchini with 1/2 of the meat sauce, followed by 1/2 of the Ricotta mixture, and 1/4 of the shredded Mozzarella.
  • Repeat by adding a second layer of zucchini slices, the meat sauce, Ricotta mixture, and 1/4 cup of the Mozzarella.
  • If you have room in your baking dish, top with a final layer of zucchini noodles, the remaining 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, and the remaining cheeses. If you don't have room for the zucchini, top with only the remaining sauce and cheeses.
  • Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese on top has melted.
    Healthy, low carb, cheesy Zucchini Lasagna Recipe For One made with all of the wonderful ingredients found in a traditional lasagna but without the noodles. Substitute thinly sliced zucchini for the pasta and enjoy a tasty gluten-free, flavorful single serving meal. | One Dish Kitchen
Notes
The size of your baking dish will determine how many layers you are able to add. In the pictures shown, I'm using a 5-inch baking dish and I can get one layer of filling between the zucchini noodles.

You can also use a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan for this zucchini lasagna recipe. In this type of a dish, you will be able to add an additional layer.

This Zucchini Lasagna Recipe makes one large serving or can be an ideal size meal for two people if served with a side salad.

Next Ingredient: Raisins

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123   Gee, thanks Butterfly123.  

I have a few favorite dishes I have cut down like this but I don't have this one.  It sounds really delicious!

Next Ingredient: Raisins

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Raisin Bread Pudding 

Ingredients
  •  
12 slices raisin bread cut in chunks
  • 1 1/2 cups milk I use 2%
  • 4 tablespoons butter melted
  • 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup extra raisins
Instructions
  1. Soak the cut up bread in the 1 1/2 cups of regular milk for about 15 minutes or until milk is soaked into bread.  Pour melted butter over bread.
  2. Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray and whisk together the sugar, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, whipping cream and vanilla extract. Make sure it is all incorporated and smooth.
  3. Place soaked break in baking dish and pour over the remaining ingredients.  Add extra raisins on top.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes until a knife comes out clean when inserted in center.

Serve with vanilla sauce, ice cream or whipped cream.

Next Ingredient: Poster’s Choice 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  Great recipes coming our way! Thank you!

@walker 

That pork tenderloin, in particular the mustard sauce, sounds fabulous.  I added that to my recipe "box". 

Next ingredient: Poster's Choice

~ house cat ~