Honored Contributor

I have made many apple crisp recipes over the years but this is the one I have settled on.  It takes a little longer but worth it. 

Crumb Topping:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t cinnamon
dash of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter diced into small chunks

Apple Filling:
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks
3 T butter melted
2 T flour
1 T fresh lemon juice
3 T milk
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
dash of salt

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine crumb topping ingredients and with a fork, pastry blender or fingers mix until it resembles small crumbs.  Refrigerate while you prepare the apple filling.

In a small bowl combine melted butter and flour until well blended.  Add lemon juice, milk and vanilla and stir well.  Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.  Pour mixture over apples and toss to coat.  Put apple mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the apples.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Remove from oven - cool at least 10 minutes before serving.  

Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce if desired.  My favorite way is with slices of sharp cheddar cheese.  Especially love it cold for breakfast! 

Respected Contributor

you had me at Granny Smith!

Respected Contributor
This sounds delicious! Especially comforting for this artic blast we are in now!
Honored Contributor

Sounds Good!  This is one of my husband's favorite desserts.  Too late for his Valentine dessert but will fix another day.  Thanks!