Super Contributor

I was "thrifting" a couple weeks ago and just had to peruse through some cookbooks. . . I need no cookbooks!  Anyway, I saw a picture of a beautiful salad. . . and bought the book!  I changed several ingredients and made it for a family birthday party that featured smoked ribs. . . it was perfect!  Guests picked at it with toothpicks, and some ate it with a fork (like a salad).  My daughter suggested it would make a great sandwich/wrap (chopped up!)  Next day leftovers were even better!!!

ANTIPASTO SALAD

8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cubed

8 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed

16 oz pkg whole fresh mushrooms, quartered

8 oz hard salami, cubed

8 oz sliced pepperoni, pieces cut in half

6 oz can whole pitted ripe black olives, drained

1/2 large red onion, diced

1 large orange sweet pepper, diced

2 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced

16 oz bottle Italian salad dressing

Toss together all ingredients in a serving bowl.  Cover and chill overnight.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANTIPASTO SALAD

[ Edited ]

@lork - TY for sharing this recipe! Antipasto is one of my favorite things to eat, and when we eat out I'm always looking for someone to share it with. 

This version looks yummy - minus the jalapeños, which can go on the side for DH!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is an interesting recipe. In my Mom's family (Italian) we had a salad called orange and olive very similar to this but,without all the furniture.

Honored Contributor

I've always had antipasto as an hors d'oeuvres...not a salad course.

This recipé has a whole pound of cheese, and another pound of meat.  WOW...That's a whole meal !!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I can imagine adding some rotini pasta to this tasty recipe.  No jalapenos for me though.

Esteemed Contributor

Great flavor combo. I do use peperoncino vs jalapeños, although I do like jalapeños. And yes, it is terrific when added to your choice of cooked pasta. I have used rotini, penne, bowtie and tortellini to make a nice Italian pasta salad.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

Sounds delish! With the jalapenos!

Respected Contributor
Sounds yummy. My type of salad mixed w/ salad as suggested.
Respected Contributor
***Mixed w/ pasta I meant.
Trusted Contributor

Re: ANTIPASTO SALAD

[ Edited ]

@lork wrote:

I was "thrifting" a couple weeks ago and just had to peruse through some cookbooks. . . I need no cookbooks!  Anyway, I saw a picture of a beautiful salad. . . and bought the book!  I changed several ingredients and made it for a family birthday party that featured smoked ribs. . . it was perfect!  Guests picked at it with toothpicks, and some ate it with a fork (like a salad).  My daughter suggested it would make a great sandwich/wrap (chopped up!)  Next day leftovers were even better!!!

ANTIPASTO SALAD

8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cubed

8 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed

16 oz pkg whole fresh mushrooms, quartered

8 oz hard salami, cubed

8 oz sliced pepperoni, pieces cut in half

6 oz can whole pitted ripe black olives, drained

1/2 large red onion, diced

1 large orange sweet pepper, diced

2 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced

16 oz bottle Italian salad dressing

Toss together all ingredients in a serving bowl.  Cover and chill overnight.

@lork 

Thanks for sharing!  I make a similar Antipasto Salad every Christmas which we put out as an appetizer.   My adult nephews go crazy for it, so it has become a staple. 

I don't have the recipe here, so I will just list the ingredients.  It's not an exact science, use what you like.  Woman Happy

1 can of drained and rinsed chick peas

1 can of pitted black olives (drained)

1 small jar of Spanish olives, drained (green with pimento centers)

1 or 2 cans of unmarinated artichoke heart quarters (drained and broken up)

grape tomatoes; halved

pepperoni slices; sometimes I use the minis if they have them

roasted red peppers (drained and cut into small pieces)

boccaccini (small mozzarella balls)

Italian dressing to taste (Any will do, I often use Olive Garden.)

Toss salad ingredients together in a fairly large bowl.  Add dressing to taste.  We make this the night before so the flavors meld together, stirring occasionally.  Stir the day of and add more dressing, as needed.