Honored Contributor

Re: ALMOND JOY POKE CAKE - From The Recipe Critic

@kate2357 .....thanks for good explanation for @sabatini ....I'm slow to the party....still working on the cake...😉😅.

I would only add....experiment....don't use up all the liquid...see what you think and adjust.  Put the extra sauce on ice cream...😁.

Trusted Contributor

One word: OMG!!!!! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes 

I uttered .... oh MAN! when I bumped into this recipe. It really does look delicious. The recipe author took a very appetizing picture. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@sabatini poke cakes are moist, but not to the point of being mush. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@sabatini poke cakes are moist, but not to the point of being mush. 

Thank you, @AuntGSmiley Happy

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made a cupcake version of this Almond Joy cake.

Chocolate cupcake, coconut goo, 4 whole almonds on top of coconut and topped with chocolate fudge icing and slivered almonds. I poked a few holes into cupcakes so the coconut goo would sink into the cake.

Oh my...they turned out delish. Took them into my husband's office as they were having an employee thing. Why yes, yes I did have to do a quality control sampling. 😊

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

Oh my ... this is going on my to bake list very soon. I may use the cake mix or make my regular chocolate cake and the icing looks like what I make anyway. Can't wait to try this poke cake.

ALMOND JOY POKE CAKE - From The Recipe Critic

Almond Joy Poke Cake.PNG

INGREDIENTS
1 15.25 oz. box Devil's Food Cake Mix
Ingredients on the box to make cake eggs, oil, water
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk or 1 (15 oz.) can cream of coconut
2 c. shredded coconut
3/4 c. sliced almonds
Chocolate Icing
4 Tbl. unsalted butter
4 Tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbl. milk

INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare cake mix and bake according to package directions for a 9x13-inch cake.

When cake is done, while it is still warm, poke holes all over the cake using a toothpick or a fork.

Stir together sweetened condensed milk or cream of coconut and the shredded coconut and pour/spread over the warm cake. It will be thick.

Allow to cool. Some of the mixture will sink down into the holes in the cake. When cake is cool, make the chocolate icing.

For the Chocolate Icing: Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in the cocoa powder until no lumps remain. Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.

Stir together until smooth and creamy and immediately pour over the cooled cake. Spread out evenly.

Top with sliced almonds and allow icing to harden. I like to refrigerate the cake overnight, so it's nice and firm and easier to cut into slices.

~~~~~~~~~~~`

(apologize for quoting, embedding, this original recipe, but I dont want to lose it, ever!)

@kate2357 

I've made a Command Decision, all of my own.

You, & whomever create such delicious items, as this Almond Joy Poke Cake, *ANY* items, be them Savory or Sweet, need ME as their *Official Taster!*

My late Mom was an Incredible, Exceptional Cook & Baker, Savory & Sweet, which I understand is a rare breed, incredible in both.

So I'm officially offering my devoted, undying Services, as "Official Taste Tester!!"   Heart   

eating-yummy-cake--smaller.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@JoyFilled Warrior 

I hope you make this and enjoy it with friends. It really is a yummy cake.

Respected Contributor

@kate2357  This looks divine and I gained 5 pounds just looking at it!   I will no doubt purchase larger pants as I am going to try this,  thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

You had me at coconut!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.