Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I did a search on this recipe and found it in threads but not as a separate thread-I've had a request to share the recipe so I thought I'd post it again for anyone interested.

Carol

/></span><br/> <br/> <span style=ITALIAN COOKIES

1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. shortening
3/4 c. granulated sugar
4 eggs
3 c. all-purpose flour
5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. anise extract (can use vanilla or lemon extract instead)

GLAZE:
2 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
2-4 Tbsp. milk

For the cookies, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Melt the butter and shortening together; pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar; mix well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the anise extract.

Sift or whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture gradually. If the dough is too sticky to roll in the palm of your hand, add flour, a little at a time, until firmer, but the dough should still be very soft.

Roll the dough in small balls (these tend to really puff up with all the baking powder in them) and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake @ 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. The bottom should be lightly browned but the tops should remain light.

Remove cookies to wire racks and cool completely before glazing.

For the glaze, mix milk GRADUALLY into confectioners' sugar to make a thick glaze...make sure to keep it on the thick side. Dip top of each cookie into glaze. Sprinkle with colored jimmies or nonpareils while the glaze is still wet. I usually dip 10-12 cookies, return them to the wire rack (with wax paper under the racks to aid in clean up), then sprinkle those cookies before starting to dip more.

This recipe makes a lot of cookies-how many you get depends on how large you roll them.

*I usually roll the dough into 1/2" balls-I get about 100 cookies from one batch when I roll them this size.

/></span></div> </div>