Regular Contributor

This has NEVER happened to me before in all my years (many) of roasting turkeys.

10 days ago, I bought a fresh ButterBall turkey - about 11 lbs.  I always buy BB.  In my opinion, it's the best.  Sell by date was 11/28.

The turkey had been in the fridge since I brought it home.  After several days, I noticed a smell.  Hmmmm I thought.  What's this about???  The smell got a little stronger.  I called the BB hot line.  The woman told me that a poultry smell was normal.  Long story short - I decided to cook the turkey yesterday.  Opened it and got knocked out by the smell.  UGH!!!  Smelled up my whole kitchen.  Gross!!!!!

Brought it back to the store (in a double bagged black bag)  and had to get a Shady Brook.  Not a happy camper was I.

I called the BB hot line again.  They were very nice and connected me to their Consumer complaint person.  She took a lot of info.  I told her the following was my theory - BB has "improved" their packaging and now has a way of opening the plastic without needing scissors or a knife.  I think that this "seal" was not air tight, air got into the turkey and Voila!  stinky turkey.

Anyway....cooked the Shady Brook - not nearly as good as BB but did finally get the smell out of my kitchen.

Thankful for everything, everyday.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Respected Contributor

@hick   Good that you were on top of it and that you were able to get a different turkey in time.  Your theory sounds correct that it wasn't sealed airtight.

Here's hoping that the rest of your cooking will go smoothly today.

Perhaps your input (and maybe that of others if your incident is happening to others) will prompt Butterball to reconsider the new packaging.  

I have never found it that difficult to get a whole chicken or turkey very difficult to remove from its sealed wrapper.  

Sometimes "new aand improved" just isn't a good idea.

Have a very happy, and uneventful, Thanksgiving.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Indeed.......a very woeful tale...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@hick  sad, ugly story.  Unless that turkey was meant to be frozen instead of in the meat display, your wrap theory makes total sense.  End of story is less sad.  

Hoping your sides sides are so good, they make up for the foul fowl.

Respected Contributor

@hick 

LOL, I'm gagging because that happened to me one Thanksgiving and I can almost smell that odor! Needless to say we had lasagna and sides that year. I'm always hesitant with the fresh turkeysnow, unless I get one directly at the butcher.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@hick 

LOL, I'm gagging because that happened to me one Thanksgiving and I can almost smell that odor! Needless to say we had lasagna and sides that year. I'm always hesitant with the fresh turkeysnow, unless I get one directly at the butcher.

@KBEANS    Years ago, I unpacked my groceries and found a package of chicken that had gone bad, maybe from the extremely hot weather.    The STENCH was so horrible, I "gagged" into the kitchen sink.   It was at least 20 years before I ate chicken again, and that is deep fried from "The Colonel".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I too always prefer Butterball turkeys.  This year I purchased a 12lb frozen bird and immediately put it into my freezer.  I took it out to defrost and for the first time ever, it was thawing and leaking outside the packaging.  I had it in a roasting pan on paper towels and noticed the wet become pinkish but no smell.  I read your post at 6:30am and immediately got up, opened up my turkey and it smelled fine.  Just a leaking package I believe.  If they changed the way they package then I wish they would go back to original.  Never had an issue prior to this year.  Looking forward to dinner later.  Thanks for posting, I had visions of having to have Boston Market dinner today.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

I would never have imagined that raw poultry would stay fresh for that long unless you freeze it.  But I see what you're saying about the 'best by' date.   

I purchased a fresh breast a week ahead and figured I would have to freeze it for a few of those days, so that's what I did.

Glad things ended up ok!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine keeping any unfrozen meat for 10 days and expecting it to stay fresh.  My mom bought fresh turkeys and always picked them up the day before she cooked them.  I've always bought frozen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I can't imagine keeping any unfrozen meat for 10 days and expecting it to stay fresh.  My mom bought fresh turkeys and always picked them up the day before she cooked them.  I've always bought frozen.

That is exactly what I was going to say .. I can't imagine keeping any fresh

meat for keeping 10 days ....We used to get fresh turkeys at a turkey farm and we

would pick them up no sooner than the Tuesday before .....usually Wednesday ....