New Contributor

I read today that QVC is letting American workers go and moving their shipping center to Poland. Do you know if this is correct?

Contributor

Re: shipping change

[ Edited ]

There's mention of something about a move online at a few different sources but I'm not sure how many are American job positions nor if shipping has anything to do with it.  Here's one link I found: QVC laying off 100 in Pa., sending jobs abroad: Report

(Edited to clarify my response!)

Honored Contributor

The article doesn't say anything about moving shipping to Poland.  

Honored Contributor

The article does not say anything about moving their shipping dept to Poland. That would be stupid. 100 employess in Pa, 40 in the UK, 70 in Germany &10 in Italy will receive lay off notices. It says HR & Legal Depts will be moved to Poland. Says nothing about shipping. It does say shipping jobs overseas. That does not mean shipping products. It means moving some of their buisness overseas like most American companies do. 

Respected Contributor

The article says several departments including HT and legal are moving to Poland.  There is no mention of shipping.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps it's just shipping to Europe. Can you imagine the delivery time....to the US.   But if, we discover call centers in Poland or anywhere else over seas that have taken US jobs, I will be done with the Q.  I for one have had enough of this.  It's time to take a stand and save American jobs. 

Honored Contributor

I'd bet my last breath it's not shipping being moved.  No way that would save $$$$ -- and the tendency in warehpousing now is to move the warehouses closer to the product's destinations, not closer to their manufacturing sources.

There's another thread that deals with the issue.

Honored Contributor

After seeing the other post, I see the issue.  The article says it's shipping jobs to Poland.  Most associate shipping meaning sending a package.  What they really mean is moving (shipping) jobs to Poland.

Regardless, they are eliminating office jobs.