"How do I handle being alone since passing of my husband ?"

I need to feel sane again .

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "How do I handle being alone since passing of my husband ?"

Get involved with your community

Volunteer

find a hobby

Just getting out of the house helps

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Contributor

over 50 years for me and no youll never be normal again......and then just when you think your ok....BAM in my case my daughter was killed in 2017. No matter what you do its always THERE;

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You need to take time to grieve and to heal after such a significant loss. 

Establishing a daily routine may be helpful and know that some days will be better than others. 

Spendng time with family and friends is helpful for some and for others alone time initially works better.

You may even want to consider a support group if that is an option.

I believe you will know when you are ready for more social  activity and don't think you need to push yourself to get out and do things so soon.

Honored Contributor

Have you thought about getting a dog or cat?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's tough.  And you may very well never feel quite the same again.  But there is a life to be lived, but it's a different life now.

You really need to be more specific if you want some suggestions.  

And you can come visit the Widows Thread in the Among Friends forum.  Lots of kind and helpful ladies there for support.  You'll find out you're not alone in your feelings.  And what others have done, and are doing, to get through.

My thoughts and prayer are with you.  🙏🕊❤️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all Sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain.

Both of my older sisters just went thru losing their husbands.

My sister, who is now 74 lost her husband last Jan. She is still trying to cope. We have advised her to get involved with her community, volunteer, start going back to church, lunch with friends(now that they are vaccinated). It's hard, but slowly you have to get back out there and learn to live again.....

My sister has a dog that she is crazy about, so we suggested that she volunteer at a dog shelter, or Humane Society...

She has been busy this last month with yard work and cleaning out her garage, but she said she just wakes so sad every morning!

I understand that, but I try to encourage to get up and get busy!!!! Also I think some Grief Counseling would benefit her and maybe you as well......It akes time, go slowly! Let us know how you are doing! Take Care.... 

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou  I am so sorry for your loss.  No matter whether a spouse or a child, it is difficult and you need to take all of the time that you need to grieve.  Life goes on but it goes on differently and changes as the years go by.

After grieving, it is time to get out and do things.  Travel alone or with a group of women, volunteer (places are begging for volunteers), adopt or foster a pet or two (my preference), take classes.  There are so many things that you probably had planned to do and never got to them.  Now you can, so do it.  The first step is the hardest and then each time becomes easier.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

When our 33 yr old son passed away from cancer in 2010 my husband and I went to a grief support group.  I would highly recommend that.  We went to GriefShare.

Frequent Contributor

My husband passed away last December from a long illness.We were married 52 years. I remember the good Thanksgiving we had with family.  Christmas was difficult.  I've had so much paperwork to do.  It's seems to never stop.  When I think I'm done, here comes something else.

Granddaughter has been doing her school work here.  No doubt, this has helped me get through thus difficult time.  She would ask, "Grandma, are you going to cry some more."  

Last week, I had complete knee replacement.  Always something to keep me living and hopeing.  My yard work has kept me busy.

Just think of the good times.  Life must go on.