Esteemed Contributor

Typically, I'm not a fan of Steve Doss—his hijinks with David on Wednesday nights are often uncomfortable to watch and he is very overdramatic about any item that is anywhere near him; I had only seen him host a show on his own once about a month ago where he just seemed to want to make all the presentations cutesy and have big fake laughs without providing key product details.

So when I tuned in for a two-hour American West show late Saturday night and saw that Steve would be the host, I groaned and steeled myself for what was to come. Well, I almost had to pick my jaw up off the floor as I enjoyed his excellent work! He had clearly researched all the items in the show and really focused on describing details, was excited without being overdramatic (though if he said "moment" one more time he might have hit triple digits), managed to make it seem fairly natural for him to try on many of the pieces, interacted very well with Carolyn and Suzanne, and just generally made the show a great experience from beginning to end. He even came up with a clever option for using a safety pin on his shirt to show how an enhancer could be worn as a pin—something Carolyn loved and I did, too.

There are often a lot of negative posts about hosts, and I've even joined in on such a previous post about Steve, so I wanted to take the chance to share something positive about his nice work. I hope he continues to improve, hone his strengths, and find the right niche for himself at the Q. I can see a lot more potential in him now, and that was a very pleasant discovery. Kudos to Steve!

Esteemed Contributor

I missed the AW show, but I have come to like Steve Doss, as well.  

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Steve has a great personality and I am enjoying his shows!

No photo description available.

Respected Contributor

I agree -he was great with Carolyn.  He proved he's a good host - not just a sidekick.  He should be given more opportunities to really host shows.  On his own.

Respected Contributor

Re: kudos for Steve Doss

[ Edited ]

I, too, like Steve Doss.  I believe we all need to be more patient and give new hosts and vendors more time to adjust.  Honestly,  Steve was put in an administrative decision of doing what he was told to do when he had to taste food for David.  I believe he was just as uneasy about it as it appeared. 

Given the opportunity, as with Carolyn, he was in his element and doing what he was hired to do.  He was natural, focused, pleasant and explained all the details about the items while still allowing the vendor to equally share the time.   

Steve will, if he hasn't already, become a favorite host to watch.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

I agree that Steve was put into an impossible situation being a food tester for David. 

Then he was hung with the Big Bite Steve moniker that was totally unfair to him. 

Both of those things were cringey and Steve knew it, but it wasn't his fault. It was yet another brilliant decision whoever came up with. 

Away from David, I like Steve. 

Occasional Contributor

I agree, Steve is David's guinea pig for tasting food since David doesn't or does very little since he started his " Low Carb Low Sugar journey which he constantly mentions! I feel Steve puts up with feeling like a second heel even though he may feel uncomfortable at times (which I don't blame him) for the sake of his job. I'll also say I prefer him over Rossina😝

Super Contributor

Not a big fan of his, but I watched a few minutes of a show with him and Vanessa Herring and they seemed to have good chemistry.

Honored Contributor

Re: kudos for Steve Doss

[ Edited ]

This will get poofed: I think David has a condition (not overweight) that precludes him from a lot of food tasting. Also have noticed that when he NOW tastes they quickly camera away. Kinda like Giada.

I really like Steve. Lots of potential there.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  I kind of agree w/u on that; I think there might be something heriditary as I think his dad died when he was younger.