Trusted Contributor

Re: What are your grammar gripes?

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

The one that is like fingers on a chalk board for me is, "Me and x are. . ." It is just being said that way much too often and I did finally tell a friend of mine who is homeschooling her daughter, because I didn't want her daughter to be taught that this is correct. She actually said she had learned the correct, "Name and I. . ." but has seen the other way online so much that she thought she was saying it incorrectly, so she switched! I know that many younger people don't care as long as they communicate what they want to say, but it really does matter. (At least to those people who will hire and manage them in their careers.)

Related to this, is how to refer to yourself.  A local radio station used to run an ad where an insurance agent said, "so call myself, (name)....."

Correct is to "call me" (go ahead and call yourself if you want to, though you won't get many new customers that way!)

Honored Contributor

Espresso, NOT expresso ! !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Using "then" for "than".

I have seen this done so often, I am beginning to think that people really do not know the difference.  I have identified supposedly anonymous posters on forums (not here) by their use of "then" when they should have used "than".

Trusted Contributor

I love this!

As a secretary for 100+ years, I cringe at some of the documents/letters/e-mails, etc. I have had to read or proofread.

I am also one of "those" comma nuts.  One of the teachers at my former job would always ask me to proofread anything that he would send to parents.  Well, we would have a "comma" war each time.  It became a joke between us.  I even go nuts over the spacing after periods.  I was taught 2 spaces; I guess it is now one space.  Sorry - not conforming!

Not sure if this is a NY thing - "axe" instead of "ask".  Even the secretary who worked with me would "axe" me questions.  UGH!Woman Tongue

two, to, too

your, you're

their, there, they're

then, than

except, accept

I could go on ... and on ...

Respected Contributor

My grammar gripes are probably too many to list, but here are a few:

His self, instead of him self.

He don't do that anymore.  

Chimley instead of chimney.

I seen that.  Should be I saw that. 

Gonna, wanna.  Lazy speech. 

There are more, but that's it for now. I won't get into things like to, too, two!  Yikes! 

Super Contributor

@Mama Don't forget the uptalk inflection at the end, "So, I decided to WALK?"

Super Contributor

@this is my nic 

One of my new "favorites" is TUH instead of TO. "I went tuh the store.". 

Super Contributor

@roeroe1005 

I expecially don't like it when people axe me questions I don't have the answers to. Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

@vsm  Ha ha, you caught me! Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

@maximillian I once worked with a former English teacher. Her grammar was atrocious. She would, however, grumble constantly when other people misspoke.

One day, I said to her, "Don't you just hate it when people don't understand dangling participles?". She looked absolutely panicked because she knew that I knew that she didn't know what it was. LOL (It was a little bit mean of me. Smiley Happy )