Trusted Contributor

It isn't just Amazon or other online sites that have impacted some of the products. Some of the items that you mention, like collectible dolls and bears, just aren't popular any more. Business is all about demand and QVC is not going to carry items for which there is little or no demand. You can find those things on Ebay for, in most cases, significantly discounted prices. Dolls that sold for a few hundred dollars several years ago are literally only a few dollars now on Ebay. There are thousands of Marie Osmond and Seymour Mann dolls listed and the vast majority of the listings show no bids at all. A friend of mine bought me a Seymour Mann doll several years ago and I know it cost about $300 at that time. That same doll is now listed on Ebay for $25 and had NO bids.

QVC continues to make money so even though some of us may not like some of the merchandise, their business model seems to be working. They have millions of customers and they know their business far better than any of us.

Honored Contributor
You can find your Polish Stoneware on ShopHQ.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

the Zanger Company (Gloria's website) still sells her high-end Polish Stoneware. Google it and you're there.

QVC has to go to the items that people will buy. No one is buying collectibles anymore unless they are truly one of a kind and hard to find. You can see that on eBay. I used to sell Antiques (on eBay and in 3 Antique Malls) and one day (seemed like that) the market just dropped off. What you could get hundreds for you now couldn't give away. So the market changed. I had to change what I sold as well, you HAVE to, and I suspect that QVC has done the same thing.

Personally I still love antiques and collectibles but rarely buy anything and only put things up for sale to continue to clear out the inventory I had from years ago. It does NOT go fast. When the economy truly picks up again, people will look around for those extra special things to buy. Right now though, it's the more practical items, and as cheaply as they can find it.

I loved the 50/50 Tour and always wished the Q would do it again, maybe they might ....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Good gosh, I don't know what happened, but it is SO not pretty...

I'd add that I'm not buying that the internet is the problem... If they offer interesting, diverse products, both on the air and on-line, at competitive prices they can compete. They simply don't choose to. It's easier to keep bombarding their audience with the same type of stuff relentlessly... If their financials are any indication, a lot of it isn't selling as well as some would assume it is, merely because they keep showing it...

Moreover, it seems the Q has less of a focus on direct sales and is increasingly serving as the middle-man for those products we tend to see on an all too regular basis. They provide air-time and hosts for those companies and are essentially, it seems, at least as much in the business of producing infomercials for third parties as they are in the business of direct sales of their own inventory to customers...

Whatever the reason or reasons, it's really a shame how bad it's become...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
On 2/9/2015 nomless said:

> There was no internet in the early days of QVC

Just an aside....Yes, there was Internet in Q's early days. Q started in 1986. And I was on the Internet then--part of my job was to manage my company's connection to the Internet. There were no browsers then, it was all text-based and done via command-line code, but Internet it was.

Then let me correct myself for those who didn't understand what I was stating - there was no internet (shopping implied) in the early days of QVC!!!!! Meaning you couldn't just go and search for whatever you wanted like you can today.

Respected Contributor

I think some of the others on this thread have nailed it: with the advent of Amazon, Hautelook and other shopping sites, QVC has to be more selective to make money. They seem to focus now on clothes, less jewelry (only a few designer lines), garden, kitchen, and exercise gear but limited in scope--with certain vendors you expect to see.

I don't have a big problem with that. I buy almost ALL my clothes here as I hate to shop in stores (they rarely have my size.) Yes, I have to pay shipping and return shipping (hate that) but I know certain lines work for me here and can order, generally successfully. Women in Control, Isaac Mizrahi and Linea work for me. Bob Mackie doesn't. I miss the Motto line and the Nina Leonard, but in general, I'm quite happy and my clothes look well on me--at least, I get compliments, especially on the Linea.

I now buy shoes on Zappo, free shipping and return, and I don't buy much from HSN anymore, as the clothing lines I liked in past are now gone, as well. With the rise in gold and silver prices five years ago, jewelry became no longer a "treat-item" but out of sight for practicality, so I only buy a few designer fashion pieces, and those, I can find on Ebay when someone gets tired of theirs, which does seem to happen.

But yes, if you shop diligently, you can find the same items for less-even with free shipping.

Regular Contributor

Glad to read all the posts. I thought it was just me!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Silkeej, AMEN TO THAT. I totally agree with you.

Valued Contributor

With social media they realize they can keep a customer base who is more focused on the personal lives of hosts rather than the product. I'm convinced the rest of the customer base is people who don't have access to shopping in rural areas, shut-ins and new customers. QVC.....quality, iffy, value, no way, and convenience, some of slowest shipping on the internet. They don't need me as a customer and I've found I rarely need them after 20+ years of shopping.

Respected Contributor

This is an interesting conversation and I agree with all the points made.

My QVC purchases have dropped off dramatically over the years, for so many reasons. When I first started watching QVC I was a full time working mom with two young children. I had no time or desire to shop, but I still wanted to dress professionally. QVC was the answer. I discovered scrapbooking and loved QVC's craft days. Precious metals were a LOT more affordable and I could occasionally buy a nice Diamonique piece in 14k for a pretty good price. I remember when QVC.com first launched. Somehow the domain name was unavailable so it was iQVC for a while.

Remember when Beanie Babies and Furbies were so popular yet impossible to find in stores? QVC found dealers who would offer a selection and that was exciting while it lasted. You'd never see something like that on the Q now.

My kids have grown and I've discovered Kohl's great sales and merchandise, so I don't mind going out to shop anymore. There are tons of discount craft supply websites (that offer free or low shipping) that I buy from, plus use coupons at my local Joann's and Michael's.

I've changed, QVC has changed. We've grown apart, LOL.