Honored Contributor

I returned an item and received my NET easy pay amount back.  Q didn't credit back the amount of tax I paid in that easy payment. I called and tried to explain and the CS rep was less than cordial.  She finally got mad and said she'd credit it back to my account.  

It's the first time I had a snotty CS rep.  They have all been so nice.  Perhaps it was just early for her too.  

Anyway, check your refunded amounts to be sure it includes whatever it should.  

Respected Contributor

I believe this has been discussed many times, the shipping and handling is always taxed thus if you return an item. your refund will be "short" meaning you will not receive the entire amount of tax paid on the shipping cost

item cost $10,00   Shipping $5.00  State Tax 5%

$15.00 x 5% =  $0.75   Total   $15.75

If you return it I believe your refund will be $10.50

The Q does not refund the original shipping and handling with the tax.

I believe this is correct.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeartProbably frustrated.  I'd tell you based on what I learned the one year I had a math class injected into my English-teacher schedule, a huge percentage of everyone doesn't have a deep understanding of how numbers work.  And my experience was pre-calculators and certainly pre-computers, so I can only imagine what;s going on now when what we want doesn't show up on a computer screen.

I'd encourage everyone to check all their bills, charges, refunds, etc.  I've been lucky at QVC, but given the number of errors people find, I always check.  Then again, I try to be vigilant everywhere -  in recent months that has paid off too frequently at the supermarket -  at more than one unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I believe this has been discussed many times, the shipping and handling is always taxed thus if you return an item. your refund will be "short" meaning you will not receive the entire amount of tax paid on the shipping cost

item cost $10,00   Shipping $5.00  State Tax 5%

$15.00 x 5% =  $0.75   Total   $15.75

If you return it I believe your refund will be $10.50

The Q does not refund the original shipping and handling with the tax.

I believe this is correct.

@Just Bling   So what....QVC KEEPS THE TAX?😡😲👎  

All of the tax should be refunded PERIOD.  That is just wrong  and sounds illegal to me.  If it is not going to the state of origin, than that money designated as tax needs to be returned to the customer. 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Watch refunds! I always check to make sure I am credited the same amount I am charged .

[ Edited ]

Trusted Contributor

If QVC doesn't refund the taxes, it sort of sounds like they're stealing.  Although I wouldn't put it past them.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Watch refunds!

[ Edited ]

I doubt that QVC is stealing the sales tax. The tax reports are due each month, and to keep their records straight I would imagine they report, and pay, any, and all state sales tax collected. 

When customers make returns, perhaps that report has already been filed to the Comptroller. 

Honored Contributor

QVC has to abide by all the tax laws of EVERY state they sell to.  You really think they are going to risk legal action by 'stealing' your tax refund?  Be serious.  I am sure it was just a mistake.  They, like all large national companies, have huge departments that must file state sales tax returns.  My BFF worked for Perricone.  She had to file returns in every state.  It is a complicated system.

Shipping and handling is NOT always taxed.

That is a state by state regulation.  Tax laws differ by state AND individual counties. Some small cities within the county have a totally different tax rate than the rest of the county.

New York does tax the shipping and handling but not all states do.

Some states consider it a service.  They tax it.  Since the service WAS performed, the return of the item does not include a sales tax refund on the shipping and handling portion.  It should ALWAYS include the tax on at least the value of the item.

Bottom line is...OP is correct.  Always watch your refunds.  Make sure you receive what you are entitled to.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Yes, you do not have any right to that tax refund.

It's shipping and handling and that is considered a service and it's taxed so that service "took place" and you did not receive a refund on that "service" so you are paying tax on it.

Right or wrong, that's how it is.

Regular Contributor

I just had my own incorrect refund issue involving the shipping charges.

I recently returned an item and when I saw the return amount, I didn't think it was correct.

So, I pulled up my original receipt, and sure enough, they did not credit me the full amount of the first EZ pay.

I called up CS, and they asked if I used the QVC return label.

I did not, I never do. I still had the QVC return label in front of me, along with my receipt from the PO with the amount that I paid.

On this particular return, I even hand wrote the QVC return address, so I cannot understand how they would think I used the QVC return label.

In any event, they did credit me back the difference of my 1st EZ pay amount, along with the tax. But I must admit I have not always looked as closely as I should, unless it appeared to be a blatant error.

Thank goodness, I don't order/return alot, but just thought I'd share my recent experience.