Super Contributor

Re: The demise of QVC, let's get real here

QVC is like Dial Up on the internet......people still use it, but, there I are better speeds and deals out there.
Respected Contributor

Not enough interesting products, Same items appearing over and over, prices that do not compete with Kohls/amazon. Cookie cutter hosts. Can it be corrected? I don't know but this isn't the fun Q I knew from the 90s and early 2000s. There has definitely been a downward trend. I'm sure management is scratching their heads how to fix it.
Super Contributor

I've been a customer for almost 30 years since the CVN days. I have bought A LOT (thousands of dollars) over the years. Back in the early days and probably until about 5 years ago, CVN/QVC was fun to watch. The products were of great quality. Sizing of clothes was consistent. Shipping was reasonable with items arriving very quickly and in good condition. I no longer shop at QVC. I made my last purchase in April of 2011. After receiving inferior products with clothing sizing extremely inconsistent and packages arriving without instructions and smelling of cigarettes (not to mention the numerous plastic packages I've received with black tire tread marks on them like they'd been run over with an 18 wheeler) I now spend my money elsewhere. I will never order another product from them. They have lost my trust and I'm sure there are many more customers who feel the way I do. I do not wish any company to go out of business and thousands of people lose their jobs. But if the management executives don't make necessary changes soon I believe QVC will continue with this downhill spiral at an even faster pace.
Honored Contributor

On 10/14/2014 Reever said: Not enough interesting products, Same items appearing over and over, prices that do not compete with Kohls/amazon. Cookie cutter hosts. Can it be corrected? I don't know but this isn't the fun Q I knew from the 90s and early 2000s. There has definitely been a downward trend. I'm sure management is scratching their heads how to fix it.

I'm not sure they are. But if they are, it's sure as heck belated...

Uh, do you get it yet... Q?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 10/14/2014 LadyBug77 said: I've been a customer for almost 30 years since the CVN days. I have bought A LOT (thousands of dollars) over the years. Back in the early days and probably until about 5 years ago, CVN/QVC was fun to watch. The products were of great quality. Sizing of clothes was consistent. Shipping was reasonable with items arriving very quickly and in good condition. I no longer shop at QVC. I made my last purchase in April of 2011. After receiving inferior products with clothing sizing extremely inconsistent and packages arriving without instructions and smelling of cigarettes (not to mention the numerous plastic packages I've received with black tire tread marks on them like they'd been run over with an 18 wheeler) I now spend my money elsewhere. I will never order another product from them. They have lost my trust and I'm sure there are many more customers who feel the way I do. I do not wish any company to go out of business and thousands of people lose their jobs. But if the management executives don't make necessary changes soon I believe QVC will continue with this downhill spiral at an even faster pace.

Are you taking notes, Q...?

Trusted Contributor

I have watched QVC since the first days of CVN. The station has progressively deteriorated in quality and value. I am at the point of finding something else to do. They've lost their integrity, making money from inflated shipping and handling, charging three times appropriate the price of some items, playing favorite darlings with their hosts. -------- they have more items than when they began but they have less appeal. The dishonest claims of the hosts, the selective exclusion of sectors of their audience in some major categories.. How can you continue to spend hard earned money with a company you can't trust? Personally I don't care what the newbies think , those of us who've been around can see the soiling . And we are the fifty and sixty year olds they are supposedly aiming their marketing at.
Super Contributor

Dep,

No words of business wisdom here, but my mindset concerning QVC at the moment is:

I've ordered my last item this week since I had a $20 credit. The S&H is profound (for me), and their "Imported" merchandise is plentiful in brick-and-mortar stores. Moreover, I am disappointed with the new hosts coming on-board. Lisa R. is smart to move on ... "get out while you're on top is a good mantra."

Honored Contributor

I buy just about everything I need or want from the Q. No I don't like the high S&H , or the programming most of the time lately, but I do like the easy pay and their no questions asked return policy. As far as the Q trying to appeal to the 30 and under people, that's not going to happen. My son and his 30 something friends say they would never shop at the Q , when they do buy something they are buying local or online somewhere.

Honored Contributor

On 10/15/2014 blueLagoon said:

Dep,

No words of business wisdom here, but my mindset concerning QVC at the moment is:

I've ordered my last item this week since I had a $20 credit. The S&H is profound (for me), and their "Imported" merchandise is plentiful in brick-and-mortar stores. Moreover, I am disappointed with the new hosts coming on-board. Lisa R. is smart to move on ... "get out while you're on top is a good mantra."

I tend to agree that Lisa might just be getting out while the getting is good. Not only has the Q been steadily deteriorating, but for most of the past couple of years, they've had her as the 'face' of the new Gili line. Recently, in another of the warehouse clean-outs, they put an older Gili bag on clearance. Some of us who ordered it appear to have received returns. One lady over in 'handbags' indicates having received a bag with the oft discussed cracked handle pads and with hair and other debris in the bottom of the bag... The bag I received didn't appear to have been used, but it arrived ensconced in an Issac Mizrahi dust bag and was not wrapped as a new bag would be... These bags were sold as new, and not as part of the 'as-is' category. This is no way to run a business and I can't imagine that Lisa was unaware of their intent, though I wouldn't expect that she could do a thing about it. In addition to her hopefully going to something better, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that part of her choice was based on simply no longer wanting to be part of an operation that seems intent on perpetuating all the negative commentary about itself, and in fact, in furthering it, while seeming to make absolutely no positive strides forward. She strikes me as astute enough to not want her name, again associated with the Gili house brand, dragged down in the process. I wish her well. Unfortunately, unless someone takes the bull by the horns and make some rather sweeping changes, and quickly, I don't see much good in the future for QVC. I'm sure they'll continue as a retail entity, but they could very well be doing it without a percentage of those of us who have been part of their core audience for many years. Every aspect of this operation appears to have reached the edge of shoddy.

Honored Contributor

On 10/13/2014 NJ4Jays said:
On 10/13/2014 SPURT said:

QVC is nowhere near bankruptcy....but things don't seem to be going all that well either....And their certainly is discontent from all age demographics and fans of various categories of merchandise across the forums who continue to voice their displeasure as to the current state of the Q!

The 3rd quarter results have not been released yet, so here are the figures from the 2nd quarter for all 3 shopping channels......

Also when a Top Exec resigns "to pursue other opportunities" and losing your best sales person, that means that something is not right with the Q ......Yes in terms of revenue QVC produces more, but those results can easily change and a down direction isn't that encouraging....many retailers that were at the top have fallen Dell (formerly #1 now #4), JCP, Sears, etc etc.....

And remember QVC's international markets have performed well in Italy and China ....but some international locations are now seeing decreases due to the exchange rate in particular Japan and Germany.....The other channels don't have that advantage of international markets either...

And I don't agree with you about the "marketing geniuses"---I don't consider rotating 15 products over and over (and most of the products can be found locally with better prices), or showing the same products that are already seen on infommercials---these ideas can hardly be considered the work of "geniuses"...JMHO....{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Here's info posted from a shopping blog that obtains info from the parent company financials-

HSN’s net sales rose 6 percent, That growth outpaced industry leader QVC, which earlier in the week posted a 3 percent jump in revenue in the second quarter, to $1.4 billion.

<p style="font-size: 1.05em; color: #333333; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 21px; orphans: auto; text-align: justify; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"> At HSN in the quarter, digital sales were up 11 percent, with penetration increasing 180 basis points to 37.2 percent.(QVC's increased 7 percent)

<p style="font-size: 1.05em; color: #333333; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 21px; orphans: auto; text-align: justify; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"> Sales grew in beauty, home design, health and culinary, offset by lower sales in electronics and jewelry. Units shipped increased 4 percent and the average price point increased 2 percent. (QVC units shipped 3%)<br />

<p style="font-size: 1.05em; color: #333333; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 21px; orphans: auto; text-align: justify; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"> ShopHQ, recently under new management, posted second-quarter net sales up 5 percent compared with the year-ago period, the No. 3 home shopping network said Wednesday. The Minnesota-based channel has new offices in Manhattan now, by the way.

ShopHQ’s growth in the second quarter was greater than QVC’s, but less than HSN’s. ShopHQ’s quarter was boosted by strong performances in the fashion and accessories, beauty, and health and fitness categories. (wow even troubled Shop HQ with the fight between their Board and the CEO who was ousted).....

let's not forget that some top earners from qvc have jumped ship to shop hq like mark bouwer and carson kressely and they both sold out every piece on saturday........gulp qvc

Your are so right....QVC vendors have moved on to other channels (don't know if it was the vendor's choice or QVCs).....but it's interesting that most vendors that move to another shopping channel have a lot of sell outs---so there is certainly an interest in the vendors that have been kicked to the curb....

BTW QVC made that "big announcement" they were bringing in former HSN vendor, the guitar playing Esteban....what ever happened with that {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Now I'm being sarcastic here....that is something we don't need ----is guitar music AS WE CHANGE THE CHANNEL! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”