Honored Contributor

Re: The demise of QVC, let's get real here

On 10/14/2014 LadyBug77 said: I've been a customer for almost 30 years since the CVN days. I have bought A LOT (thousands of dollars) over the years. Back in the early days and probably until about 5 years ago, CVN/QVC was fun to watch. The products were of great quality. Sizing of clothes was consistent. Shipping was reasonable with items arriving very quickly and in good condition. I no longer shop at QVC. I made my last purchase in April of 2011. After receiving inferior products with clothing sizing extremely inconsistent and packages arriving without instructions and smelling of cigarettes (not to mention the numerous plastic packages I've received with black tire tread marks on them like they'd been run over with an 18 wheeler) I now spend my money elsewhere. I will never order another product from them. They have lost my trust and I'm sure there are many more customers who feel the way I do. I do not wish any company to go out of business and thousands of people lose their jobs. But if the management executives don't make necessary changes soon I believe QVC will continue with this downhill spiral at an even faster pace.

Hi Ladybug.....I haven't been shopping at QVC as long as some, but I've noticed a definite decline---they used to have many unique items that you didn't see in local stores which made them a viable shopping option for me....but now they show the SAME things I can get locally or other online retailers offer better deals. I know times change and things need to change, but what the heck has QVC changed into!!! And it seems that QVC would take advantage over other online retailers by using their TV channel and show something to grab the viewers, but all they are showing the same stuff as the infommercials or repeating the same products over and over....{#emotions_dlg.glare}{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

And then there is the quality issues and I agree with you especially on the clothing!!! Come on you can go to Dillards or Macy's and get better quality clothing at cheaper prices (either in person or online). I did ask my UPS guy about the "tire tracks" he said it had something to do with the way the packages came down a belt as they went through their delivery process....

And I think that the only reason some of us voice our complaints, is that we are giving them feedback in the hope they will make some changes and become a shopping option for many of us once again...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

OP here. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for everyone that contributed to this thread. Now I just hope someone in management is reading . . . And I can't help but add my two cents on Lisa. It must be horribly embarrassing to have to push defective items that would have been refused at the loading dock, so to speak, in the old days. All the more so because her name was connected to the line. She must have had such high hopes. And those hours. How many people would work Friday night, Saturday night, and occasionally Sunday night?

Honored Contributor

On 10/15/2014 depglass said:

OP here. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for everyone that contributed to this thread. Now I just hope someone in management is reading . . . And I can't help but add my two cents on Lisa. It must be horribly embarrassing to have to push defective items that would have been refused at the loading dock, so to speak, in the old days. All the more so because her name was connected to the line. She must have had such high hopes. And those hours. How many people would work Friday night, Saturday night, and occasionally Sunday night?

Agree, it must be disheartening, not to mention all those weekends and holidays for years and years and years.

And really, who would've thought even five years ago that QVC would tolerate what now seems business as usual with regard to quality assurance.

The seams seem to be popping loose in so many areas and in so many ways.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 10/13/2014 SPURT said:
On 10/13/2014 nutmeg3 said: i do not think QVC is going out of business anytime soon. Have folks noticed the number of guests on the forum sometimes 13000 plus. The QVC customer is changing. They are more tech savy than some of us older people that frequent this forum.

I do not think that being tech savvy has made the impact QVC has hoped for...---QVC has emphasized their social media, but neither the number of people in the forums or on their Facebook pages have impacted their sales figures other than the fact that their financials show more people prefer to to be ordering online rather than calling in and having a QVC Customer Service Representative place their order for them. Or some don't watch their TV programming just place an order online for the few vendors that they still like. But their sales figures aren't that hot...

As far as the number of people viewing or participating in the forums...why some of the threads even mention where one can find a better deal elsewhere....And many come to read or post because of the comradery and friendships that have been made, or just to chat or get recommendations or suggestions or debate various topics....it's become more of a popular meeting place, but that is still not translating into better sales figures ..... And from what I've heard other shopping channel forums are much more moderated and restrictive and people find them a tad boring so many that seldom or never shop here still prefer to post here....

I think QVC is having a problem retaining their current customers---which QVC's CEO described as being between 45 and 65. The younger demographic may be buying beauty products, but studies show the younger folks aren't into cooking, and they think QVC clothes and jewelry are "frumpy", their electronics are outdated.....so who are they attracting....it seems only those that have shopped with the Q for years and years and have that affinity with QVC and a particular hosts, and view the hosts are their friends/family so they will continue to be here. But who else---they may get a "drive by" shopper making a major purpose--computer/tablet/vacuum/keurig but how many of these items does one need, you certainly don't need big ticket items week after week... and will they even be back and become a regular customer....It seems many current customers have become disenchanted....

The younger generation are not into cooking? My daughter is a gorgeous twenty something who would put any of the QVC models to shame, and she LOVES cooking. So do her friends, so you shouldn't make such silly blanket statements.

Valued Contributor

On 10/15/2014 depglass said:

To answer your last question - it's not as much about "how many" but "what kind". The answer - single people! I'm single and I wouldn't mind working on weekends especially if they pay me double and if I have other days off. My family is far away so I have nothing to do anyway....so I doubt it was a huge disadvantage....
Trusted Contributor

IMO, what we are seeing are the fruits of the direction set by an executive that came from the likes of Walmart. Now, Walmart is fine for some things but high volume sellers drive profits by reducing the size of their vendor base and, often, limiting the selection/choice of what they do sell. Once this path is set, it takes a while to turn the aircraft carrier around, so to speak. It sounds as if no one has been named to replace the exec who exited, so whoever is piloting the aircraft carrier is doing it part-time. They need someone running the show to get them back to the business model that made them successful, upgrading it of course to the current competitive landscape, which is much broader than when they started and/or were successful. As for Lisa's departure, she's a smart cookie and is making a move that is in her best interest. I like a lot of what she's brought to Q in the GILI line but the lack of quality, selection and non-competitive pricing/shipping costs must wear a person very thin.
Valued Contributor

On 10/15/2014 redngold said:
On 10/13/2014 SPURT said:
On 10/13/2014 nutmeg3 said: i do not think QVC is going out of business anytime soon. Have folks noticed the number of guests on the forum sometimes 13000 plus. The QVC customer is changing. They are more tech savy than some of us older people that frequent this forum.

I do not think that being tech savvy has made the impact QVC has hoped for...---QVC has emphasized their social media, but neither the number of people in the forums or on their Facebook pages have impacted their sales figures other than the fact that their financials show more people prefer to to be ordering online rather than calling in and having a QVC Customer Service Representative place their order for them. Or some don't watch their TV programming just place an order online for the few vendors that they still like. But their sales figures aren't that hot...

As far as the number of people viewing or participating in the forums...why some of the threads even mention where one can find a better deal elsewhere....And many come to read or post because of the comradery and friendships that have been made, or just to chat or get recommendations or suggestions or debate various topics....it's become more of a popular meeting place, but that is still not translating into better sales figures ..... And from what I've heard other shopping channel forums are much more moderated and restrictive and people find them a tad boring so many that seldom or never shop here still prefer to post here....

I think QVC is having a problem retaining their current customers---which QVC's CEO described as being between 45 and 65. The younger demographic may be buying beauty products, but studies show the younger folks aren't into cooking, and they think QVC clothes and jewelry are "frumpy", their electronics are outdated.....so who are they attracting....it seems only those that have shopped with the Q for years and years and have that affinity with QVC and a particular hosts, and view the hosts are their friends/family so they will continue to be here. But who else---they may get a "drive by" shopper making a major purpose--computer/tablet/vacuum/keurig but how many of these items does one need, you certainly don't need big ticket items week after week... and will they even be back and become a regular customer....It seems many current customers have become disenchanted....

The younger generation are not into cooking? My daughter is a gorgeous twenty something who would put any of the QVC models to shame, and she LOVES cooking. So do her friends, so you shouldn't make such silly blanket statements.

guess there are no statistics, but 99% of my friends/coworkers in their late 20's/early 30's do not cook ....even if they have children, which I find a bit odd.... btw, she said "studies show" so it wasn't a blanket statement....And there are always exceptions to the rule....
Super Contributor

I'm getting so tired of threads popping up on this subject.

No one knows the real story, it's going to be a "wait and see" situation down the road. Lisa has nothing to do with it.

Your opinions and speculation are tiring, getting repetitious, and just gossip worthy. Why don't all of you just can it and wait until there is a real story to discuss ?

It's going to be a weary few months around here otherwise.

Valued Contributor

On 10/15/2014 stevieb said:
On 10/15/2014 blueLagoon said:

Dep,

No words of business wisdom here, but my mindset concerning QVC at the moment is:

I've ordered my last item this week since I had a $20 credit. The S&H is profound (for me), and their "Imported" merchandise is plentiful in brick-and-mortar stores. Moreover, I am disappointed with the new hosts coming on-board. Lisa R. is smart to move on ... "get out while you're on top is a good mantra."

I tend to agree that Lisa might just be getting out while the getting is good. Not only has the Q been steadily deteriorating, but for most of the past couple of years, they've had her as the 'face' of the new Gili line. Recently, in another of the warehouse clean-outs, they put an older Gili bag on clearance. Some of us who ordered it appear to have received returns. One lady over in 'handbags' indicates having received a bag with the oft discussed cracked handle pads and with hair and other debris in the bottom of the bag... The bag I received didn't appear to have been used, but it arrived ensconced in an Issac Mizrahi dust bag and was not wrapped as a new bag would be... These bags were sold as new, and not as part of the 'as-is' category. This is no way to run a business and I can't imagine that Lisa was unaware of their intent, though I wouldn't expect that she could do a thing about it. In addition to her hopefully going to something better, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that part of her choice was based on simply no longer wanting to be part of an operation that seems intent on perpetuating all the negative commentary about itself, and in fact, in furthering it, while seeming to make absolutely no positive strides forward. She strikes me as astute enough to not want her name, again associated with the Gili house brand, dragged down in the process. I wish her well. Unfortunately, unless someone takes the bull by the horns and make some rather sweeping changes, and quickly, I don't see much good in the future for QVC. I'm sure they'll continue as a retail entity, but they could very well be doing it without a percentage of those of us who have been part of their core audience for many years. Every aspect of this operations appears to have reached the edge of shoddy.

Good point, Stevie, about Lisa not willing to be associated with this terrible business practice....And Yep, that lady would be me Smiley Wink all true about the bag!
Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate the lengths to which QVC has gone to make it so easy for me to shop elsewhere! They could not have done a better job if they'd planned it.

Quality, gone. Value, long gone. Convenience, not so much.

Like many others there was a time when QVC was my first port of call when I needed a small appliance such as a vacuum or coffee maker, a nicely made piece of clothing, or a skincare item but over the past five years my buying patterns have changed substantially. Why would I buy a small appliance from QVC when I can get a better price and similar shipping time from a variety of vendors such as Kohls or Amazon? Clothes, shoes, bags? With the exception of Linea, I've been very disappointed in the other brands I've bought at QVC-- from piling sweaters, cheap poly-rich fabrics, everything synthetic and always, always substantially more $$ than I could find elsewhere. This morning I needed boots so went to Amazon which is offering 20% with free shipping. Uh, QVC? Full price, full shipping, and don't return or we'll spank you with a letter.

I happen to love social media and spend lots of time on FB, Twitter, Instagram but QVC's presence on these outlets is so predictable and boring that theirs aren't pages I check often. I enjoyed toGather at first but they never upgraded to enhance the user experience so that too just became dull. Speaking for myself only, I've NEVER purchased anything I saw on someone else's toGather page and conversion is a huge metric for success. I would be surprised if anyone is pleased at how social is performing in term of ROI.

So, if your younger customers have it in their DNA to do lots of web searching before buying and always, always find a better price, and your older customers are bored with your lack of variety and reliance on social media, to which many don't subscribe, to sell and engage I'm not sure I see much of a recipe for success.

I think it might be as simple as getting back to basics. Every retailer knows the recipe: Exceed your customer's expectations by offering best-in-class merchandise sold at a spectacularly competitive price and backed up with amazing customer service.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat