Honored Contributor

TSV presentations....

[ Edited ]

I don't care how many hours and hours they spend showing them  it seems they never sell out.  I remember years ago I couldn't wait to see the TSV and price...order it before it sold out --now they stay for days!

I guess even today's LeCreuset isn't a sellout -- even with the continual presentations & David reminding how many are left.  I saw these in Marshall's the other day by Staub & LeCreuset (inside enameled) for $39.99!

I gave away all my cast iron pieces except for my 8 and 6 qt. dutch ovens.  I got them over 35 years ago & still use them once in awhile -- nothing cooks a pot roast, short ribs, oscobusco, and soups better IMO.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1I also remember those days, but I wonder which side of the retail equation has changed more.  Is it QVC or the shoppers from those days?  

Am I the only one who used to watch and shop, watch and shop, and at the same time go to the stores and browse and buy, and buy, and buy -- and now I buy much, much less no matter where I look?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@homedecor1I also remember those days, but I wonder which side of the retail equation has changed more.  Is it QVC or the shoppers from those days?  

Am I the only one who used to watch and shop, watch and shop, and at the same time go to the stores and browse and buy, and buy, and buy -- and now I buy much, much less no matter where I look?

@millieshops   I think many shoppers are more savvy now and go comparison shopping. There are so many stores that either discount prices, run constant sales, have coupons or ship free in 2 days.

I also agree with @homedecor1 . 

Honored Contributor

I also think there are other great alternatives now, Le Creuset and Staub don't carry the prestige that it once did.  You can get excellent cookware/vessels for much less in price.  I can see carrying a Dooney or Gucci because luxury can mean better quality, and the world can see it, but who will really be impressed when you pay two or three times as much for a skillet?

I purchased Geoffrey Zakarian's 12" cast iron skillet with its PFOA-free nonstick interior coating for $46.  It's fantastic! 

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I also think there are other great alternatives now, Le Creuset and Staub don't carry the prestige that it once did.  You can get excellent cookware/vessels for much less in price.  I can see carrying a Dooney or Gucci because luxury can mean better quality, and the world can see it, but who will really be impressed when you pay two or three times as much for a skillet?

I purchased Geoffrey Zakarian's 12" cast iron skillet with its PFOA-free nonstick interior coating for $46.  It's fantastic! 

I also purchased Geoffrey Zakarian’s cast iron skillets and the 13x9 casserole and they are fantastic. I use them at least 2-3 times a week. They are heavy for sure...but the quality is amazing.

Honored Contributor

Add to that the fact that they don't seem to be as much of a "special value" as they once were.  Thus, the "special value" pricing goes on for a couple more days.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Add to that the fact that they don't seem to be as much of a "special value" as they once were.  Thus, the "special value" pricing goes on for a couple more days.

@Krimpette   Perhaps the entire idea of a TSV is outdated. In department stores, once prices are reduced on a item, they stay at that price until sold out, not raised the next day. I don’t watch Q every day, or check ahead to see the TSVs, so I may miss something that I may have purchased within that 24 hr. window. QVC can’t be that selective w/ pricing to reduce an item for only one day.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ShanusShoppers do have far more choices than they did when QVC was in its early years, I know that.   I also know they need to work to bring in more and more new buyers because I suspect lots of us who bought heavily in the 1990's and on into this century are not going to be those lucrative clients again.

I really have no ideas on what general retailers need to do to increase sales.  If coupons and sales were really enough, would Kohls, for example, have turned to Amazon to get buyers into their stores?  Now what do the other do?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ShanusShoppers do have far more choices than they did when QVC was in its early years, I know that.   I also know they need to work to bring in more and more new buyers because I suspect lots of us who bought heavily in the 1990's and on into this century are not going to be those lucrative clients again.

I really have no ideas on what general retailers need to do to increase sales.  If coupons and sales were really enough, would Kohls, for example, have turned to Amazon to get buyers into their stores?  Now what do the other do?

@millieshops   If food shopping counts, I recently changed from Harris Teeter to Target...found in general that prices are much better....I just have to stay away from the makeup & clothing aisles. Bed Bath & Beyond always has 20% off coupons & Macy’s seems to have sales every weekend. Most online sites have frequent discount codes + free shipping. 

Honored Contributor

Re: TSV presentations....

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

I think a couple reasons the TSV's aren't selling out is it seems almost all of Q's TSV's are now "high priced" items ....and not very competitively priced at that---- hence no sellouts.....EZ Pay and also the offer of financing a high priced item on their high intrerest rate Q credit card isnt pulling pople in......

I also remember the days when the TSV  price range....was $29.99 to $49.99.....now these prices are few and far between....most of the TSVs are $85 on up....Recent offerings: Lay Z Boy recliners, Philosophy, Le Creuset, Roomba vaccuum, Dell computer.....NN mattress, Delonghi air conditioner, Tatcha, Perricone, Shark, Jai jewelry, Ring Doorbell, ...Ninja Kitchen, Mi roderm MD, Dyson hair dryer.  The few exceptions are clothing, sandals, bras, My Pillow and kitchen brushes for July... And the clothing is probably due to making room for fall clothing apparel ..which QVC starts in August.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”