Respected Contributor

I notice many clothing/fashion items have increased to $5.50.  Is this something new?  I assume it goes by weight but really some of the items that are $5.50 can't be that heavy!!  This will deter me from buying things for sure!

Honored Contributor

I've noticed the increased s&h fees mostly for coats and jackets, also bulky items.

S&H not only includes postage but it also includes the labor to package it plus the cost of the materials (bags/boxes) to have it shipped. In my state the materials used in packaging is taxed b/c it's just what you would have to buy at a store to prepare a package for mailing.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl - Last year, the USPS and UPS raised their rates on mid-size packages, so QVC has raised the shipping fees for quite a few items in that range to keep up with costs. It's surprising how much anything between 1-4 pounds costs to ship these days! And even though we'd obviously all love to pay less (or nothing) for shipping, a significant portion of QVC's business model is built on passing along shipping costs to customers, so this helps the company stay afloat. I don't have a problem with paying the same rates for QVC to ship an item that I'd have to pay—or much less in the cases of large or heavy items such as a ladder, an ottoman, a toaster oven, or a set of stoneware dinnerware with charges of $5.50 or $7.50.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl  - The 5.50 is nothing new.  This shipping fee is not bad.  I wanted to purchase something from another website the other day (clothing item) and the shipping was 13.00.  I didn't make that purchase.  

I don't think the Q's shipping charges are bad at all.

Honored Contributor

As long ago as 2019, I took an oblong object to UPS - wanted to ship it from NY to CA.  It most likely weighed less than a pound.   The UPS store wanted nearly $75 to ship.  About $20 to create safe packaging and $52 something to ship the odd-sized package!

The object was a sentimental one friends somehow hadn't packed when they moved!  Instead of sending it, I left it with other friends because they were seeing each other sooner than I would!.  Can't even guess what it would cost today, but I don't cringe when I pay QVC to ship.    

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops 

I just send a rocking horse to my nephew that I gave him on his 1st birthday 39 years ago.  We didn't even know it was still around until my sister moved to florida a few months ago.  He lives in San Diego and even though his son is now 19, they wanted it for a baby cousin.  
I was happy to send it because it has so much sentimental value for us, but it weighed only 12 pounds and cost $140 to send UPS ground.  My husband took it apart too so it wasn’t even a gigantic box.  So you can imagine how much more your item would be.  

Honored Contributor

Compared to a lot of online stores, their shipping prices are pretty reasonable and even low sometimes.  

Honored Contributor

I mailed a medium-ish box to my friend in Utah a few weeks ago.  Not really heavy at all. $21.05. I almost had to be revived. 

$5.50 for a piece of clothing is a deal.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

First, I can't believe that QVC pays the same shipping rates that individuals do.  Second, $5.50 to ship shoes that weight less then a pound seems out of line.  Third, many retailers offer free shipping when a certain amount is reached, something QVC does not do.

I noticed on ShopHQ their shipping went up a dollar to $5.99.  Not surprised QVC has followed.

Rarely purchase from here because of that and many other reasons.