Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Rachel keeps using 'jonesing' to describe loving different products.

[ Edited ]

Isn't 'jonesing' a slang for something inappropriate?  Check the slang dictionary.  Just letting you know :-).  

Honored Contributor

Re: Rachel keeps using 'jonesing' to describe loving different products.

In my world it is not something inappropriate.  I agree with the dictionary definition of to have a strong desire or craving for something.

Honored Contributor

It is a term for craving whatever. I do NOT care for the expression at all.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I've always found it to be inappropriate slang.

I don't know I feel that way because of the generation I belong to....or if whenever I've heard it..it was used in a deragatory way.

I'm sure she doesn't mean anything by it, but I think it would be better if she found a more appropriate word to describe whatever she's talking about.

I use a lot of slang (way too much) from my generation.  My girls used to tease me sometimes.

Rachael is a lovely person so I'm sure if she knew the way it's often used she'd find another word.

Respected Contributor

@Q-Girl too wrote:

Isn't 'jonesing' a slang for something inappropriate?  Check the slang dictionary.  Just letting you know :-).  

Originally it was focused on drugs, but has been used for all kinds of cravings since I was a teenager. It was very popular in the 80s and we used it for all kinds of things, none of them drug related - unless you count caffeine. I had a lot of friends who were addicted to caffeine in Coke, Diet Coke, Mountain Dew, and Jolt Cola.

Using it for perfectly wholesome craving isn't new.

Honored Contributor

Whether or not it is slang, certainly being in sales, she should be able to come up with another word to express her feelings about an object. Does the Q sell thesaurus's? 

Honored Contributor

I thought everyone would be happy! They are not eating the food, they are not making their goofy faces,etc. Jonesing...I’m watching and never even noticed it. They can’t win.

Honored Contributor

It's not a word I've heard which shows how old I am.

Honored Contributor

I've heard that word, but thought before the Q, she was a broadcaster, so should not have such a limited vocabulary. 

Respected Contributor

This is too funny as I just came on to post the same thing as the OP!  I too had not a clue what Rachel means by   "jonesing" , and wanted to know what it means. She's said it 2-3 times already during this show.