Honored Contributor

Re: QVC's FIRST QUARTER RESULTS 2014-

On 5/14/2014 stevieb said:
On 5/14/2014 SPURT said:
On 5/13/2014 island breeze said:

I don't think you people know how to read a quarterly earnings statement. These were actually respectable numbers. In fact, they're so good, that Liberty Media is planning to create a tracking stock that separates QVC from its other businesses like Evite and Backcountry.com so people can see how well QVC is doing.

Let's see

Macy's reported a 3.2 increase in revenue for first quarter (QVC 1%)

Struggling JCP reported a 3.8 increase in sales compared to last year (QVC 1%).....

No, I'm not a business person, and call me naive, but isn't a single percent growth based largely on higher prices (and shipping, let's not forget shipping), while continuing to incessantly foist the same things out there that aren't selling and are, in fact, being returned sort of iffy business practice...?

you would think so....but again, what do we know....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 peggy9cats said:

Sorry to say but qvc has become very stale! I do not buy much from them anymore, as amazon and other sites are a much better deal for the most part- with free shipping! Also tired of paying the over the top salaries of the hosts- bragging about their second homes and trips!(Jane t and jill love to do that) I think qvc has seen its day, it had a great run, hope it improves.

Hi Peggy9cats---Jill seems to find some way to work in a mention of her beach home more and more frequently....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

The Q has become so stale they might as well tape the whole thing and just replay it---and be the infommercial that they've become

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

On the fashion side, too much SG and her liquid knits. Is Isaac really selling? Shipping costs are way too high for apparel items.
Frequent Contributor

On the fashion side, too much SG and her liquid knits. Is Isaac really selling? Shipping costs are way too high for apparel items.
Honored Contributor

On 5/17/2014 LUV 2 SHOP said: On the fashion side, too much SG and her liquid knits. Is Isaac really selling? Shipping costs are way too high for apparel items.

ITA.....QVC has priced themselves out of the apparel market--and then add in the shipping.....Except for the designer pieces even Dillards had lower prices .... I can find tops equivalent to QVC's D&C for $26...And at Macy's found some cute t-shirts $12.....It seems that most QVC items have inched up to the $36 or $49 range...add in the shipping and WOW!!! Better deals elsewhere....

Trusted Contributor

Spurt - Remember what QVC told us: cotton has gone up in price!

You are so right. Who is buying this stuff at these prices?

Honored Contributor

On 5/17/2014 alarmclock said:

Spurt - Remember what QVC told us: cotton has gone up in price!

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

You are so right. Who is buying this stuff at these prices?

Hi alarmclock---

Oh silly me, how could I have possibly forgotten...OF COURSE.....why it's the price of cotton...must be special cotton too, "exclusive" to QVC Wink

Honored Contributor

Spurt, Spurt, Spurt, of course it's SPECIAL, cotton... It's that high end cotton that only the Q uses, while all the others selling cotton use that more mundane stuff... Think drusy here, Spurt...

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn it's actually Italian cotton..

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Hey, you guys ... let's not forget all the high-end stuff G.I.L.I. is bringing in ... that should raise revenues at least another 1% next quarter.

Honored Contributor

I don't know Sox, with the season finale of the LRS, whatever will we do for our 'high end' Gili fix...? And whatever could the absence of this brand mean for their numbers in the third quarter!?

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...