Respected Contributor

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

Yep, QVC is not keeping up with the times. They are not as good as they once were.  So Yes , I can see them going the way of Sears.  They have not been living up to their initials for many, many years.  Quality has gone down hill. Value is almost nonexistent. Convenience, you can purchase items online anywhere. Shipping and returning costs are astronomical compared to Amazon, and not as convenient with returns.  The Q needs to get  a new management team to turn things around. It seems TPTB  have blinders on as to what is happening around them or they just don't care.  Either way it spells trouble for the Q. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looking at the mean age for Quate's 'senior' managers and of what appears to be the very small board of directors, it's not a surprise to see a company that just isn't staying current... I suspect many posters are in the same general age range (mid 50's to mid 70's) but they aren't running a major corporation that needs to retain existing customers and to lure in newer and younger customers. I was sort of surprised to find what appears to be a very small board and looking at its composition and the composition of 'senior' management,  it looks like the 'old boys' club is pretty much running this show... Interesting for an outfit that primarily offers items of interest to women...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

There is another factor:  a lot of young kids (I'm 63 - everyone seems younger than me) do not have cable.  Some don't have TVs.  They watch on their computers.  They shop at the trendy online sites - maybe they walk into H&M or others, but that is rare. 

Frequent Contributor

I’m sorry this bothered you, but I understood the point, I actually talk about this with my elderly Mom. She was discussing a business model, not saying she doesn’t care about the elderly. It’s a fact, my mom still wants to write checks, she doesn’t like shopping online, and is frustrated by the dwindling options at brick and mortar stores.

There are very different purchasing practices between a 25 and 75 year old, and I’m not talking about buying Clarks shoes vs Vince Camutos.

I think it’s a very interesting topic, Amazon Prime really changed the online ordering game!
Valued Contributor

It seems all of you are in love with Amazon..Amazon has a lot of JUNK....I like many people look for a good deal and you can find vendors on amazon that have the items you are looking for and they are cheaper than QVC etc.. I need a new charger for one of my Fitbits. Fitbit wanted ,I believe $20.00 for the new charger.So, I decided to go on Amazon to see if I could find it cheaper. Oh I did find a cheaper one and I was ready to order 2 of them. However,on a closer look,it looked the same...BUT it was missing something that the AUTHENTIC FITBIT CHARGER HAD. It wasn't in the description..But when I enlarged the picture it showed me what it looked like...So, sometimes the "GOOD DEAL" is not such a good deal!

Respected Contributor

The Q and/or HSN were the first tv retailers that appeared to be miles above what had been typical TV shopping channels.  The first were basically info- mercials, and they sold a lot of junk.  There was always a small audience which oohed and ahhed over each and every item presented.   The Q restructured the shopping channel.  It sold mostly quality items, thus the "Q", then branched into higher priced, well known brands with some duds thrown in.   Anyone remember the royal jelly?  

It's time to consider restructuring again. 

Honored Contributor

I know a lot of "seniors" like myself who like to shop online especially Amazon.  I also shop QVC, HSN, Target, and about 4 others.  Then I have a couple of friends (who don't drive now) and they say they have to go to a store to  pick out things --food, household supplies, etc.  Also, of course, clothing.  I almost never buy clothing in a store because they never stock my size.  It's online for me.    I am disappointed in QVC since it is nothing like it was when I became a customer in the 90's.  Quality is down and the value isn't there anymore either.   

Honored Contributor

I do remember the Royal Jelly, Shari Lieberman diet stuff, and the "meal bars" that I bought box after box of and really liked them.  (sorry, can't remember the name)    All these products were later involved in lawsuits as not being what they promised.  All sold at QVC.

Respected Contributor

Who really knows what is going to happen to any business in the future.

People are going to shop where they want.

And, how they want - either online or in store.

People have different budgets and mindsets.

Yes, people shop on Amazon. I shop on Amazon.

They have good stuff and Co plebe junk just like anywhere else.

Home Network shopping is pretty old school.

I know of no one younger than say 40 that would even consider

ordering from any of them online much less even watching them.

Shopping is not what it used to be anywhere though it seems.

For everything on the market  these days, no matter what it is -

there is just so much junk out there, it is just ridiculously stupid.

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think when Mike George took over QVC his goal was to change how people shopped by t.v. and online and I think he has achieved that goal.

I looked at the website yesterday and was actually pleased with what I saw.  I was one of the complainers about changes  to the format ... certain vendors dropped ... but now I see what he was trying to accomplish.

Maybe the term is go with the flow and if you do you  will pick up on what he has accomplished.