Respected Contributor

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 

I had not really thought about that but you are right.  I did not really watch a lot of QVC until I retired and had more time.  I don't picture the younger generation with jobs and kids being able to sit and watch QVC.  As for prices and shipping, you can usually find what you want somewhere cheaper with codes and free shipping.  I bought a handbag from Macy's and this was the first thing I had purchased from them.  It was on sale and free shipping and was at my house before I could decide I did not want it.  I saw almost the same bag on HSN for twice the money.  

Occasional Contributor

Well stated "ImaOldHippie". Love it. 

Me? Yup, at 73, I guess I should call the mortuary....

I watch the Q and flip to Q2, Evine and HSN to learn what is new in fashion (Yes,  at 73, I STILL care how I present myself). And, what new tech devices and cooking "tricks" there might be in the forefront. 

I watch the Q, etc. because I can find little else entertaining on the tube. I do not "get" commercials. PBS is my thing and Netflix and NPR is rarely off my radar.  I still read a newspaper. I rarely watch news on TV or cable. I read books that strike my fancy. I still work a 40 hr week. I can likely "outwork" colleagues 4-5 decades younger. Why? Because I care....care enough to learn what is new (if my colleagues are willing to share).

This is what is disturbing about the young....no one wants to share information, especially my own gender. 

How do I "get" info? I play dumb and dumber. I make fun of myself....it is only when I play a "ditz" that  I might squeeze some new and vital info from a colleague. Gotcha....

If a younger person learns my age (I am not ashamed of my age, age is a fact), the first thing out of someone's mouth:"You don't look it". As if 73 is a death number. Or, better yet: "You act young". Oh, so now I am an actress?

My salvation in all the dialogue about "age", is that there is always another bus creeping around the corner, albeit: "A newer model". That individual, if he/she lives long enough, will face the same comments turning 50, 60, etc.

I just leaned this from watching "Eva" on our local PBS:

"Your mind is like a garden, if you "weed" it, flowers will grow".

I like. that...not sure if applicable, but it works.....

Esteemed Contributor

I was in high school when I started watching QVC with my mom.  In the beginning it was great to see things at a good value and things that couldn't be bought locally.  However, I've found that the older I get the less I watch and buy from Q because nowadays comparable things can be purchased elsewhere for less.

Frequent Contributor

I've been a QVC shopper for many years.  As the years have gone by I've noticed the products have diminished in quality and  shipping and return policies are outrageous. A product can get horrible reviews yet QVC continues to push it.  I used to buy a lot of Denim and Co. but now most of it looks matronly.  Time to get a younger designer. I can go to Macy's and buy a T-shirt for less money than on QVC and it's better quality.  I've come to the conclusion that it's costing me too much to shop at QVC because of the high prices, quality of items and their shipping and return costs.

Honored Contributor

@GiantsLover wrote:

I am sure every older person knows they will die, but must others keep reminding them????

"That is an insult to all of the "older elderly. population".

Yes everyone will  eventually die, but  the elderly most certainly do not need to be reminded of impending death before it occurs.

That is not only insulting but causes depression and sadness when QVC members read these type of unkind callous  cold hearted remarks posted on the QVC bb's, and it most certainly saddened and depressed me, and I am God Willing many many decades away from being considered elderly and dying!.

Everyone is going to die.....sometimes early.....sometimes later.  It us just the truth. No need to take offense.   god Willing you @GiantsLover   Will have many long healthy fun years ahead.....but still live each day like it is your last BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW🙂

Regular Contributor

I agree with most of the posters. The Q cannot compete with Amazon for price and convenience of shipping. Overpaid hosts and the costs of all these channels 24/7 worldwide has got to put strong pressure on ever expanding sales. Looks like an eventual recipe for self destruct.  QVC France is already gone.  

I think they need a major makeover.

Valued Contributor

QVC is the main event if you are shopping from a screen.  And they have apparently expanded to more channels and inventory.  There are so many items from new vendors...many not shipped in the big Q box.  The problem with QVC as I see it is that they are ignoring what those famous initials stand for.  Many items I receive are a disappointment from what I expect...quality is lacking in many cases.  Prices have been raised a lot and often from one day to the next.  So you see a shirt, like it, check your closet, get distracted...forget to buy until later.  Oops, it is now five dollars higher, no free shipping, no easy pay.  Pricing is getting to be a joke and value scarce.  Convenience of shopping remains until you have to return or exchange.  Most complaints are with shipping charges...those have gone up as have postage stamps.  But when customers take an item to be returned to a post office and it sits for many days for a pick up with several more days en route with several more days to process that return....convenience turns to frustration.  QVC may rival Amazon at some point...or they just get too big for their denim & co britches!

Trusted Contributor

I agree regarding EasyPay - it brings people to the table and is a big part of the business.  I do think that, at some point, shipping fees will have to go away, but as long as EP is available, shoppers will accept it because they aren't really feeling it financially.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't see any resemblance between Sears and QVC.  Their problem is not adapting to change but rather having to skimp on everything from a workable computer system to incentives for customers to cheapo shipping due to their high cost of operating.  I imagine if we were to view all the electronic equipment it takes to broadcast, it would boggle our minds.  Look at the salaries they must pay their salespeople as compared to what the average department store salesperson is paid.  Look at the layers of high salaried management people.  The overhead for an operation like QVC is huge.  They have to accept infomercial types of vendors in order to pay for it all.  Then we complain about boring, repetitive programming.

@Kachina624  All absolutely true. So maybe it's time they changed their model. For many of us, this one is broken and has been for quite some time.

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I stopped shopping at QVC when you had to add $10 to every purchase for shipping and tax. Now, HSN is the same. I enjoy driving to a store, going in and seeing a wide variety of items, taking an armload to the dressing room and purchasing an item or two. I know not everyone is able to do this. I am grateful that I can. I'm sure I will enjoy shopping online when I can't go to a store. For now, no Amazon,QVC or HSN for me.