Respected Contributor

Re: QVC Hosts, Now vs. 10+ Years Ago

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Jake1316 I NEVER have gotten attached to a person on TV selling stuff.

I got a kick out of Mike Rowe and really liked Kathy Levine but never thought of them as "famiy" or "friends".

@Love my grandkids   Mike Rowe!  What a hoot he was.  He made me laugh everytime he was on.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Jake1316 I NEVER have gotten attached to a person on TV selling stuff.

I got a kick out of Mike Rowe and really liked Kathy Levine but never thought of them as "famiy" or "friends".

@Love my grandkids   Mike Rowe!  What a hoot he was.  He made me laugh everytime he was on.  

@ciao_bella Sorry to say I started to watch after Mike Rowe left.  If a host makes me laugh, that is a reason to watch.  Dan made me laugh.  Lisa Robertson made me laugh.  Of the ones left, Mary can make me laugh. But that is about it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella Many years ago Mike was on I think either Jay Leno or Carson talking about his days at Q and they showed an old clip of him selling Capodimonte! Mike Rowe died laughing and said he was to that day still embarrassed about selling that stuff! 

Trusted Contributor

I had forgotten all about Capodimonte! OMiGosh....that was not a favorite of mine.....I could not imaging how to keep it clean! 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't leave QVC on for background noise.  None of the hosts bothered me 10 years go or today.

Everyone has a different personality and not everyone is tuned in to what I like.

I have learned with age to tolerate everyone even if their   "style" is not to my liking.

You can't change people, but you can change your reaction to them. Why get upset and complain?  The person you think is hyper and loud might be your neighbor's favorite host.

Turn down the volume, change the channel or take a walk. It's not worth the frustration.  There is a variety of hosts and not every one of them will appeal to you.

No, I don't feel the same as you do.

I do the same @Carmie . However, that is probably why QVC's financials are so dismal. Too many customers are just tuning out.

Maybe, a new approach to today's manic presentations is necessary to improve revenue. The complaints here are valuable information that what QVC is doing, just isn't working.🥺

Valued Contributor

I wonder if TPTB who actually do the hiring have changed, ie the ones who used to hire hosts are no longer and you have a new, maybe younger, group doing the hiring that are focused on competing with Youtube, Instagram, etc  Everything faster, louder, etc.  The type of person hired in the most recent group are definitely different than previous.  I think none are as good as all the ones let go the last few years.  I never had such a negative reaction to them.

Contributor

I think the hosts of today could learn a lot by viewing tapes of the early hosts on the Q.  Steve Bryant, Steve Colantuno, Kathy Levine, Patti Reilly, to name a few.  I am like others posting,  I always left QVC on the TV. I often odered from QVC.  I have been with the Q since day one. I started ordering from CVN so I have seen many hosts come and go.  Carolyn was my all time favorite host.  Always enjoyed both Dans too. The new hosts do not keep my interest. After ordering weekly I have not ordered anything since they got rid of Carolyn and Dan. QVC has greatly changed and have lost my business by doing so.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I don't leave QVC on for background noise.  None of the hosts bothered me 10 years go or today.

Everyone has a different personality and not everyone is tuned in to what I like.

I have learned with age to tolerate everyone even if their   "style" is not to my liking.

You can't change people, but you can change your reaction to them. Why get upset and complain?  The person you think is hyper and loud might be your neighbor's favorite host.

Turn down the volume, change the channel or take a walk. It's not worth the frustration.  There is a variety of hosts and not every one of them will appeal to you.

No, I don't feel the same as you do.

I do the same @Carmie . However, that is probably why QVC's financials are so dismal. Too many customers are just tuning out.

Maybe, a new approach to today's manic presentations is necessary to improve revenue. The complaints here are valuable information that what QVC is doing, just isn't working.🥺

Amazon laid people off too. Who would have thought that would happen? Many businesses are having financial problems.  People just don't have money to buy like they used to and people with money are holding on to it.

I don't think anything is going to help until our economy improves.  It is not just in the US either.  I read news around the world daily and many countries are having the same issues.

We are stuck paying more for food and utilities, which are necessities, this leaves less money for our "wants."

Many people have high credit card debt and interest rates have been going up to slow down inflation.  People are scared, many are one paycheck away from disaster.

I honestly think QVC as well as other shopping networks are going to fail.  The younger folks just buy online from business after shopping for the best prices and free delivery.  They don't need walking and talking salesmen on TV.

I do the same thing.  I very seldom buy anything from QVC.  Their products are no longer unique and their shipping time is slow and expensive and returns take forever.

They rubbed me the wrong way charging me sales tax on a pair of sketcher shoes with thin faux fur lining.  We do not have sales tax on shoes in PA, but we do on fur and faux fur products.  

I have purchased the same shoes at other shoes here in PA and no one charged me tax.  QVC never charged sales tax for fuzzy faux fur slippers, why would they for a fuzzy fur lining?

QVC would not refund me because they said they already sent it to the state treasury.

The state did send me my money back because I  appealed it.  Things like this have hurt their business too.  They didn't seem to care at the time, but I bet they do now.

Bad business practices will come back to bite you in the assets. 

Honored Contributor

@Jake1316 No I do not feel that way. I rarely watch since the internet but buy more now. I always found the hosts back then too cookie cutterish and subdued but no other option before the internet.  Back whn I did watch I never liked nor did I dislike any of the hosts and still feel the same way!  Too much wasted time watching.  Way back many women who did not work were bored after children gone and used watching QVC to pass the time.  TV shopping is no longer relevent to getting more sales as the older people are dying off or buying less.

Honored Contributor

@We rescue cats Mike Rowe basically said it was junk and if I recall he said he was fired because of some comments he made on air about it! He was laughing his head off telling the story.