Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@millieshops  I wasn't picking on QVC. I just meant I find it outrageous for a credit card to be cancelled simply because it hasn't been used within a years time, especially since the poster had the card for so long. 

@cheriere 

Home Depot cancelled my card recently as it hasn't been used for a few years.

I had a big renovation about 5 years ago and it was used plenty then but not much since.

They had given warning about the closing and if I used it I could keep it open, decided to let it close. 

Super Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@mspemberley Q has nothing to do with the card. It's use or cancellation of same is controlled by the bank which issued it.

Q has a partnership with Snchrony Bank, as do other companies that offer branded credit cards. See @They Call Me MR Wilkes comment in this thread. 
The reason for not letting the CC company close your account is that affects your credit score negatively. If you want to close an account it should be requested by the card holder and specifically "closed by customer request". It's a temporary ding to let the CC company close an account but why not just do it yourself and avoid consequences?

Honored Contributor

@cheriere I don't know what year QVC began to offer a credit card, but I don't believe it was 30 years ago, maybe not even 20.   I do know that by the time they began with Synchrony I already had several different cards I could use to charge my QVC products and because I don't order anything from QVC that I can't afford to pay for the month I order, I never needed the extra EZPays it sometimes offers.

I don't believe just because I have my a card that's 60 years old, the company holding it would continue it if I left it dormant too long.   Use it or lose it applies to so many things in this life!

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@cheriere I don't know what year QVC began to offer a credit card, but I don't believe it was 30 years ago, maybe not even 20.   I do know that by the time they began with Synchrony I already had several different cards I could use to charge my QVC products and because I don't order anything from QVC that I can't afford to pay for the month I order, I never needed the extra EZPays it sometimes offers.

I don't believe just because I have my a card that's 60 years old, the company holding it would continue it if I left it dormant too long.   Use it or lose it applies to so many things in this life!

I have absolutely no idea when they began offering the Q card. I do not have a Q card.  However, I've had several credit cards in my day & just never had one get cancelled within a year of non use. Could it happen, yes! I just personally find that to be a short amount of time. Other posters who mentioned cards being cancelled reported at least receiving a warning letter, which I do find to be a fair, reasonable practice.

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@millieshops  I wasn't picking on QVC. I just meant I find it outrageous for a credit card to be cancelled simply because it hasn't been used within a years time, especially since the poster had the card for so long. 

@cheriere  that's the way it works but most Credit Card Companies would notify you.

They can't make any money if the Card is sitting in the night stand drawer.

Super Contributor

My friend had a store credit card cancelled because she didn't use it during the pandemic! Unbelievable!!

Valued Contributor

I called the Experian Credit bureau, they were on an automated loop I couldn't get out of.  No one to talk to.  I called the Synchrony Bank and got QVC....somehow.....she couldn't help me.....sc*ew it....I guess I'll live with out it.  She said you can use your HSN card.  I said I want the perks and discounts of the Q Card!!!  When I looked at my credit report...it is EXCELLENT.  Only closed because lack of use.  Never a missed payment.  In the 800's.  So annoying over such a dumb credit card.  I mean...

Honored Contributor

Well I guess since I have not used my Synchrony Bank card for QVC or HSN my accounts must also be closed. Can't remember who the ShopHQ card is from? It's probably closed too?

Guess I need to do a credit report on the both of us to see what's on it. It will be interesting to see what has been closed since we have not received any letters about that happening?

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

I called the Experian Credit bureau, they were on an automated loop I couldn't get out of.  No one to talk to.  I called the Synchrony Bank and got QVC....somehow.....she couldn't help me.....sc*ew it....I guess I'll live with out it.  She said you can use your HSN card.  I said I want the perks and discounts of the Q Card!!!  When I looked at my credit report...it is EXCELLENT.  Only closed because lack of use.  Never a missed payment.  In the 800's.  So annoying over such a dumb credit card.  I mean...

@highmaintenancejan  it does not matter what your Credit Score is. Yes lack of use, mostly after a year, you lose it. Surprise they did not notify you.

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

I've been with QVC since 1986.  Probably had a Q card since they offered one.  They cancelled it because I hadn't used it for a year.

I applied for a new one.  Got a letter back that I can't have one because I am deceased.  I wonder who has been buying the stuff I'm ordering on my other credit card??????

So RUDE!!!!

@highmaintenancejan   SS notified a friend of mine that she was deceased. She called me and said do I sound dead to you? I had no idea what it was about until she told me. It seems as if another person had the same name and the same middle initial, but of course different SS#. She had to have at least two letters notorize from people who knew her. Took them to SS and she was risen.