Esteemed Contributor

The one word mispronounced that drives me crazy is the word pitcher when

they mean picture. 

Oh, a certain morning host, not on QVC, says this quite often. I do not watch

his show anymore. 

So annoying. Speak correctly already. 

Respected Contributor

I just told my husband the opposite drive me nuts. I can't stand it and it feels like people are over exaggerating the word when the draw out the tant. 

Honored Contributor

I have to say I probably pronounce it leaning towards importnt.  I know I don't say imporTant.  

Some things are just plain old sloppy speech, I don't care what part of the country you live in.  That's like giving people who live in certain areas a pass on poor grammar because of where they live.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have to say I probably pronounce it leaning towards importnt.  I know I don't say imporTant.  

Some things are just plain old sloppy speech, I don't care what part of the country you live in.  That's like giving people who live in certain areas a pass on poor grammar because of where they live.

@LipstickdivaYou're just fine because the pronunciation isn't impor Tant.  It's im·​por·​tant | \ im-ˈpȯr-tᵊnt;

Trusted Contributor

I think I say importnt!"  😁. I find "imporDant" very weird, but I guess that is regional.

I don't know how my kids ended up saying "on accident," when it should be "by accident!"

OTOH, it seems to be a joke about those of us from Wisconsin who say "unthawed."  I know it's wrong, but I often say it! 😂😂. (See YouTube Charlie Behrens comedy or his Manitowoc Minute videos.). 

Super Contributor

We have visited our daughter in PA many times and I never picked up on any regional dialect. Maybe in other parts of the state. Pronunciation is important to me, but the only host pronunciation I can think of is Mary Beth calling bagels "baggles".

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pronounce Properly

[ Edited ]

Parts of Maryland , esp in Baltimore  or  Montgomery Co  there are groups that have a twang of mispronunciation . In other areas of the state you can hear some definite southern  drawl.  I can  usually tell what  geographic part of  Maryland  a person  is from  by the way they sound or  word phrases they use.  I would 't  care if I didn't care abt  trying  to understand what someone is trying to communicate to me . 

Ask and axed  is a big one for me . So are you trying to axed someone or ask them a question.  So, If you  absolutely cannot pronounce a word than try to use another word that communicates the  same  thought .

Valued Contributor

A few of the hosts also say "cottin" instead of cotton.  Or "kittin" instead of kitten, with the emphasis on the "IN". So annoying. And don't get me started on how one of them pronounces comfortable.  Hurts my ears.

Trusted Contributor

@Magicrat wrote:

A few of the hosts also say "cottin" instead of cotton.  Or "kittin" instead of kitten, with the emphasis on the "IN". So annoying. And don't get me started on how one of them pronounces comfortable.  Hurts my ears.

-------

I think I pronounce both of those words, in the way that annoys you, in fact, I think everybody that I know does. I'd really not thought about until now. 

I don't have any plans, to try and change 😊

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

@Magicrat wrote:

-------

I think I pronounce both of those words, in the way that annoys you, in fact, I think everybody that I know does. I'd really not thought about until now. 

I don't have any plans, to try and change 😊

@SuhseK  So do I, I think. I can't figure out how this person is saying they should be pronounced. Is she saying to first say kit, then say ten? I don't get it.