Honored Contributor

Prepaid Returns 👎

[ Edited ]

I posted over in Suggestion Box my dissatisfaction with Newgistics return shipping. Does anyone else feel this way, too? (Perhaps more shoppers read "Q Talk" than "Suggestion Box").

Tracking is non-existent from the time the return is picked up from the post office, by the shipping agent. It has been a week since l dropped off my return at the p.o., and no tracking is available. The package's destination is only a couple of hundred miles from where l live. 

At $6.95 or $8.95 for the prepaid label-- while other websites l shop from offer FREE return shipping WITH tracking-- this is a major deterrent for me regarding ordering from QVC.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Prepaid Returns 👎

@handygal2 wrote:

I posted over in Suggestion Box my dissatisfaction with Newgistics return shipping. Does anyone else feel this way, too? (Perhaps more shoppers read "Q Talk" than "Suggestion Box").

Tracking is non-existent from the time the return is picked up from the post office, by the shipping agent. It has been a week since l dropped off my return at the p.o., and no tracking is available. The package's destination is only a couple of hundred miles from where l live. 

At $6.95 or $8.95 for the prepaid label-- while other websites l shop from offer FREE return shipping-- this is a major deterrent for me regarding ordering from QVC.

If you get a receipt you turned it in from post office thats all you need. I believe qvc will issue refund even if they haven't received it yet. They will do the tracking hunt for you.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2  A few months ago, you could copy and paste the long tracking number (not the post office tracking number) on your return label and put it into the tracking system on Newgistics to see what was happening with your package. Now that Newgistics is part of Pitney Bowes, you cannot do that. QVC did make an improvement to Tracking in your Orders and you used to be able to click on Track Your Return and see where your package was. I noticed that starting at the beginning of October, this Track Your Return feature is not working. After several days, I put the post office tracking number in USPS tracking box and if it has been picked up and is moving (and it's been about 2 weeks since I dropped it off), I copy the post office tracking information and email the QVC Social Team, including my order number, reason for my return and how to do the refund (to the original method of payment) and ask to cancel the remaining Easy Pays, if you used Easy Pay. Sometimes I forget the latter and the mods write me that they cancelled the Easy Pays, too. The mods are very kind and helpful if you are having a problem! 

Honored Contributor

When you buy something there is a price for it.  There is a total amount.  Shipping is never "free" and return shipping is never "free."

The company buys each item from a manufacturer at a set price.  And they have a set amount of profit--a profit margin.  They have figured up how much they need to profit from each piece to make a certain amount of money to stay in business.  

Figured in are all costs:  advertising, shipping, handling, packaging, returns, etc.  So there is a selling price.  If they are going to advertise free shipping, they are not going to ship it and not charge you.  Shipping is a built in expense.

You get a certain quality from a certain company for a certain price.  And everything is included in the price.  Get my drift?  You are always going to pay their price to get it to you and to accept returns. 

FREE returns look good on paper but are always charged to YOU one way or another.  In the service, in the quality of the garmet etc.  It is ALL paid by the consumer.   If the shipping is "free" they are simply paying less for the product in the first place. 

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@handygal2  A few months ago, you could copy and paste the long tracking number (not the post office tracking number) on your return label and put it into the tracking system on Newgistics to see what was happening with your package. Now that Newgistics is part of Pitney Bowes, you cannot do that. QVC did make an improvement to Tracking in your Orders and you used to be able to click on Track Your Return and see where your package was. I noticed that starting at the beginning of October, this Track Your Return feature is not working. After several days, I put the post office tracking number in USPS tracking box and if it has been picked up and is moving (and it's been about 2 weeks since I dropped it off), I copy the post office tracking information and email the QVC Social Team, including my order number, reason for my return and how to do the refund (to the original method of payment) and ask to cancel the remaining Easy Pays, if you used Easy Pay. Sometimes I forget the latter and the mods write me that they cancelled the Easy Pays, too. The mods are very kind and helpful if you are having a problem! 

@EdithEllenLily : Thanks for your very good advice. I'll wait another week, and see what happens...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

When you buy something there is a price for it.  There is a total amount.  Shipping is never "free" and return shipping is never "free."

The company buys each item from a manufacturer at a set price.  And they have a set amount of profit--a profit margin.  They have figured up how much they need to profit from each piece to make a certain amount of money to stay in business.  

Figured in are all costs:  advertising, shipping, handling, packaging, returns, etc.  So there is a selling price.  If they are going to advertise free shipping, they are not going to ship it and not charge you.  Shipping is a built in expense.

You get a certain quality from a certain company for a certain price.  And everything is included in the price.  Get my drift?  You are always going to pay their price to get it to you and to accept returns. 

FREE returns look good on paper but are always charged to YOU one way or another.  In the service, in the quality of the garmet etc.  It is ALL paid by the consumer.   If the shipping is "free" they are simply paying less for the product in the first place. 

@Sooner : This certainly makes sense, and often applies. However, there are some exceptions. Often a national brand that is sold at QVC, but also other sources, sells for the SAME price everywhere (when not on sale). However, it can be purchased with free shipping-- AND free returns with tracking-- at some of those places, but not others...

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 But doesn't matter.  If shipping is free, then they COULD just as well sell the item at a lower cost but don't. . . so in the end, everything said and done we pay for the total cost of the item and all costs to the company.  It's just that we ALL pay for "free" return shipping or the individual pays.  

Does that make any sense?  LOL!!!  Probably not!  Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

At $6.95 or $8.95 for the prepaid label-- while other websites l shop from offer FREE return shipping-- this is a major deterrent for me regarding ordering from QVC.

Everything you say is true. Always get a receipt when dropping the packages off. That way you have proof you mailed it and can request a refund if it's taking too long. I have done this before. It is a very poornsystem that costs us a ton of money and costs them very little since they are using the worst shipping method available. There's a reason it's so slow, it's cheaper for them. The return shipping price is so inflated it's obscene.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@handygal2 But doesn't matter.  If shipping is free, then they COULD just as well sell the item at a lower cost but don't. . . so in the end, everything said and done we pay for the total cost of the item and all costs to the company.  It's just that we ALL pay for "free" return shipping or the individual pays.  

Does that make any sense?  LOL!!!  Probably not!  Woman Frustrated

@Sooner : Yes, it does, and well-said. Woman Happy But in cases where l can order an item at the same price from several different retailers, l'll choose one that offers free shipping and free returns.

Valued Contributor

While I don't disagree with you regarding shipping charges vs free shipping,  I think handygirl's main complaint wasn't so much about free shipping but about no longer being able to track her shipment.  :smileyhappy: