Occasional Contributor

You will be sorry you wasted your money on all the junk you've been stockpilling. You may enjoy it for a season, something breaks, wears out too soon, you stash it away, forgotten.

When something happens to you — and it will — SOMEONE will have to clear out all this mess you've bought here and elsewhere that you just HAD to have. Not necessities, but "stuff."  
Your children, busy with their own lives and families by then, will have to stop everything they're doing to clear out your property and make hard decisions as to what to do with all the junk you accumulated. THAT is the real legacy you'll leave for them: the hardship of dealing with all the overpriced Parr Hill tat; jars of half-used cream amd makeup; stained food containers; broken garden equipment that never performed "as advertised" from the start;  tarnished jewellery; stacks of worn-only-once holiday-themed surge-seamed clothes; mass-produced, gaudy resin figurines.... And on it goes. 
THINK before you buy. THINK what you'll leave behind for someone to sort through, clean up. 
This lifestyle isn't worth your money or the anxiety you're creating for those left behind. 

Esteemed Contributor

What a way to start the day!

Respected Contributor

I don't expect my mother to live in a sterile room with only the clothes on her back and a cup and spoon in her golden years so I don't have to clean out her house when she dies.  If buying plastic containers and ugly shoes gives her pleasure, who am I to tell her to stop?

Trusted Contributor

Re: One day....

[ Edited ]

I know the feeling.  After spending months which included several 12 hour days cleaning out my mother in laws home last summer - I was very angry at her.  She lived in the house for 50 years, we found assignments in a buffet drawer from when my husband and his sisters were in elementary school.  Ugh on the outside her house looked neat.  Then every time we opened up a cabinet we were in a time machine.  So sad her dresser drawers were full of papers, old checks and letters.  Only 3 drawers actually had clothes everything else was junk.

After we were done cleaning out her house I went through my house throwing out stuff we didn't need.

Respected Contributor

good grief.

Regular Contributor

Most of us have been there and we did it out of love. 

Regular Contributor

Okay Debbie as in "DOWNER"

Respected Contributor

And yet we are blessed to live in a time and an age of prosperity, and a nation that allows abundance, so who are we to complain that every average citizen can acquire almost any and all goods that he/she so desires and thus live well?

Yes, hoarding is a challenge in our world, but would we rather be living in a cave or a hut with a dirt fioor and no personal possessions but the clothes on our back?

Your admonishments are well meaning, but those who are stockpiling may also be suffering from physical or mental unwellness, and spend money to help ease the pain in their own lives.  Rather than scold, reach out and assist while they are still alive.  I am quite sure that the dead do not really care what goes on when they are no longer among us.

Valued Contributor

Wow

Respected Contributor

Wow!

That's one of the wildest Anti-Q rants I've read in a long time!