Honored Contributor

@Keyai, Not sure if this issue of multiple notifications is still considered a work in progress...  but I submitted a post this morning with the "@" notification to one person, then I edited it one time and it wasn't quoted by anyone else.  However, the person received 10 notifications from my one post.

When she told me I felt like I had been shouting at her without knowing it!Smiley

Just a heads up for the tech staff.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Is there a way for one to turn this 'notification' thing off completely?

I don't pay it any mind but now and then it gets in the way and I'd rather just not see it at all.  It seems like that should be an option.

I'm just here to read/post on a board.  I am not interested in a Twitter or Facebook experience.  

Just wondering.  TIA for any advice.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt@dooBdoo@stevieb

The notifications is the only way I can remember to go back and check what was posted after I posted.

This is how I use them.. and it is a "shortcut" for me... that I would be lost without.

Also, since it takes me to my post, which was hearted, I then can FIND my post easily if it is several pages back.

For those who find it cumbersome... if it could be turned off for them that would be great.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Notifications

[ Edited ]

Hi Loves!  Oh, I wouldn't wish to take anything away from anybody else.  I just like choice with stuff like this.  It isn't something I use at all and would love to just 'uncheck' a box but, going all through settings, I haven't been able to find that box.   I hope there's a box.  Smiley Happy

ETA - I forgot to mention that i really don't like the new 'being called out' thing they have.   I'm probably in the minority and I do get that.  I just want to enjoy myself with others and maybe even learn something new.  I've learned lots of stuff here over all the years.  But I don't want a Twitter type experience.   There's Twitter for that.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

The notifications is the only way I can remember to go back and check what was posted after I posted.

This is how I use them.. and it is a "shortcut" for me... that I would be lost without.

Also, since it takes me to my post, which was hearted, I then can FIND my post easily if it is several pages back.

For those who find it cumbersome... if it could be turned off for them that would be great.

Hi, @LTT1 and @chickenbutt.  I looked around and don't see any way to disable notifications.  I do understand a few posters have an issue with them, but I have trouble understanding the reason.  I have the same opinion as you, @LTT1.   It's been so helpful -- from my perspective -- to be able to know when someone answers one of my posts, asks me a question, etc., by checking my Notification Feed.  It provides more of a "flow" to the conversations and eliminates a lot of the shout-out threads and attempts to find a poster online when we are if we're trying to catch up with them.

But just like the "ignore" feature we used to have, it would be nice to offer these options for those who want them.  The support team members are watching the threads and listening to our concerns, and over time we're seeing modifications within the limits of the site software.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo@chickenbutt

This is my opinion only because I don't know what the designers of this software had in mind...perhaps they wanted "hearts" to increase good will between posters?  Perhaps they thought this method of acknowledging other posts (like FB thumbs up) would decrease snarking??? Just a thought...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

Hi, @LTT1 and @chickenbutt.  I looked around and don't see any way to disable notifications.  I do understand a few posters have an issue with them, but I have trouble understanding the reason.  I have the same opinion as you, @LTT1.   It's been so helpful -- from my perspective -- to be able to know when someone answers one of my posts, asks me a question, etc., by checking my Notification Feed.  It provides more of a "flow" to the conversations and eliminates a lot of the shout-out threads and attempts to find a poster online when we are if we're trying to catch up with them.

But just like the "ignore" feature we used to have, it would be nice to offer these options for those who want them.  The support team members are watching the threads and listening to our concerns, and over time we're seeing modifications within the limits of the site software.

@LTT1 and @dooBdoo I love the Notifications feature as well. It's probably my favorite feature that they added to the forum. 

It's so helpful in a number of ways but I particularly like using it to let other forum members know that there's an OTO available. OTOs are time sensitive, so it's great to be able to share this info no real time. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy