Occasional Contributor

Re: New Jersey and relocating

@ChillyTulip wrote:

Wow!  I think you may be the first person in the world who wants to move to Jersey after they retire!  Everyone is leaving this state in droves.  The latest property tax bill for us was almost $21,000. 

I must admit that's a good point, Chilly.  My husband and I have lived in NJ our entire lives, and when we talk about retiring one day, we always say it won't be in NJ, way to expensive to live. 

Super Contributor

I grew up in NJ - West Caldwell in Essex County, to be exact - great area with one of the most beautifulpublic parks (Grover Cleveland Park) I have ever seen...the Caldwells are lovely, but have gotten pricey, I believe.  Also have a close friend in Morris Plains, which is Morris County - also beautiful and I  believe some of the areas (Parsippany, Hanover, etc) are a little less expensive.

Regular Contributor

I have to completely agree Chilly Tulip.  I have lived in NJ my entire life and all I think about is retiring somewhere far far away.  Who can afford to retire and pay $20,000 for property taxes, not to mention everything else being so darn expensive.  Just about the only thing that is inexpensive compared to the rest of the country is gas!  Thank goodness we get a break somewhere. I am in Morris County.  It is lovely, but just watch an episode of House Hunters to see how much your money buys in other state compared to what we pay here.  It's kind of crazy.....