Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The host used the word in the wrong text.  What she should have said was ageless and unisex.

How did everyone feel in 1968 when designer Rudi Gernreich coined the word "unisex" to describe his new collection?

I remember being shocked in high school when I learned about the French Language Academy and its rigid control.

I was in Montreal in the 1980s when the Quebec language police confiscated food that had been imported from Israel for Passover because the cans didn't meet language laws -- even though the labels were written in French, English and Hebrew. (The French print size had to be larger than the other languages.)

Technology changes, fashion changes, language changes. Viva la change!

Trusted Contributor

Hey, thanks -- I learned something new today!  😁

I don't think it's dumb or wrong, but it is a new piece of biz-speak!

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The host used the word in the wrong text.  What she should have said was ageless and unisex.

Considering the host, it's understandable.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

LOL,  At the end of your post, it should read VIVE la change.  In French, that is.

In Spanish , it would be VIVA el cambio.

I guess you weren't picky enough!

Respected Contributor

@maximillian   Maybe it's correct in Esperanto?

Trusted Contributor

Starts off criticizing because she "misused" a word. Finds out she did not misuse the word. Turns into she shouldn't have used a word because I didn't know she was using it correctly. Something around here is definitely "dumb".

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Occasional Contributor

Lot's of discussion... which is good. I was educated on terminonolgy and how it is used in other industries... which is also good.  Back to my original statement of personal preference... I still hope that it does not become the new catch phrase of the moment.  If we all had the same opinion, what a boring world this would be.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I watched the video, never heard age agnostic & sex agnostic used before. I looked it up the meaning on Google but I'm still lost....?

@kitcat51  welcome to the Club.

Honored Contributor

I just had a thought!

Maybe the handbag (let's call her "she" for the moment) doesn't know whether she believes in s*x or not.  And maybe she doesn't believe in ascribing to any age.

Would that make it appropriate to call her "agnostic" on these two topics?

(A thousand pardons, but it just shows the absurd lengths to which we can stretch the English language.  Inanimate objects can suddenly have a belief or opinion.)  Smiley Frustrated

Contributor

I thought it was going to be 'moment'. We're all having moments now lol