It is very apparant that QVC doesn't put much effort or concern into advertising and selling to men. Just look at today's website. Absolutely nothing for a man anywhere on today's site! And that is the usual case on most days. The men in my life and I would do a considerable amount of shopping with QVC if only they remembered us.

Now, if QVC is for women and a company policy, then say so.

Trusted Contributor

I have a lot of men in my family, I work with a lot of men and I know a lot of men.  None of them shop on QVC.  They are not interested in shopping much at all.  

Honored Contributor

My husband shops--went to buy new shirts yesterday.  He wouldn't buy from QVC because he wants to see what he is getting and is more particular about fit then me.

Men don't buy purses, handbags and makeup and that's where QVC makes the big bucks.  There's not much money to be made in men's casual clothing (think WalMart, Target or LL Bean, Eddie Bauer for most needs they would have), and suits you have to try on.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do first posters always seem to complain about QVC?

My husband has no interest in shopping and I think he is like most men.  I believe that men who like to shop are the ones who enjoy going into particular stores and can try on and feel the materials.  I also believe that those of us who dislike malls do our shopping on the Q because we know the designers, their sizing/fit, and the fabrics.  We also have a better forum to review each item.

There are some items that are specifically for men.  Last year, I purchased shoes for DH during a shoe special, and I can honestly say that he would never have paid that much for shoes if he had been out shopping.  He loves the shoes but has no idea how much they cost (they were half price).

Women generally do most of the shopping for their households, so that is probably why QVC tends to cater to women.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@thesciencebum wrote:

It is very apparant that QVC doesn't put much effort or concern into advertising and selling to men. Just look at today's website. Absolutely nothing for a man anywhere on today's site! And that is the usual case on most days. The men in my life and I would do a considerable amount of shopping with QVC if only they remembered us.

My husband would not shop on a shopping channel. None of my extended family has even heard of QVC. Most products are geared toward women as another poster said. Maybe computers, outdoor tools could be for men. 

Don't understand your last sentence.

Esteemed Contributor

QVC wouldn't make money on returns because men's clothing is usually standard fit. A 36 is a 36. No vanity sizing. Plus how much black, brown, tan and blue can you sell. A men's shirt is the same from Kohl's, Target or Penneys. 

Honored Contributor

Even when I'm shopping brick and mortar, the only time I see men's items is when the best parking spot takes my through that department into the one I want.  If the Q takes air time to sell that, it would just be another time for me to retreat.  Same with children's items.  I do not browse those departments either. 

I understand why some want them -  but I also get it that in the currrent retail market companies need to concentrate their offerings where they can sell the most and sell quickly if possible because consumer loyalty is practically nil.

Respected Contributor

There's really no money to be made for QVC or any other home shopping to cater to men. Even the presentations of cooking shows, outdoor shows, electronics, and watches, it seems it's usually the women buying those items for the men in their life, even with male hosts. I have heard men call in so some do watch and buy, but I feel most prefer to shop online at tried and true sites being able to get deals on pricing and shipping, or to B&M stores so they can see the items in person.

However, I'd love to see a host try and sell men's clothing. "This suit would be perfect for going to the farmer's market or lunch with your friends at that corner deli in NYC. Just add a panama hat , or a chic ascot, some penny loafers, and you're done!"  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

The only reason I shop Q is because I am old enough to happily wear elastic waist pants around the house and to the post office and the dentist and I can get them here, know how they fit, and not have to go look for them in town.  It's easy.  

Oh, and I like Isaac's t-shirt dresses so I buy LOTS of those for home wear.  

Respected Contributor

@thesciencebum wrote:

While you are at it, why not ask about the lack of tall clothing for women or children's clothing?   It has always been this way here.