Super Contributor

I have purchased this line of products for years.  I have found that the sets from most recent are not up to the same standards as the sets I purchased more than 10 years ago.  Those sets are going strong (just the basic original clear) but the new sets are not watertight, the snaps break off etc.  This is a line that cut corners a little too much.  Anyone else have the same experience?

Respected Contributor

This has been discussed at length on the Kitchen forum.  No, they aren't the same quality and I quit buying years ago.  You might want to move to Kitchen for more responses.  Have a nice day.

Trusted Contributor

@Suneshine  No, I haven't really experienced your issues. All mine, old and newer, are airtight. I do have a couple that one of the snaps broke but they were my oldest ones. These were purchased years ago.

I have heard some complaints like yours though. I've had good luck so far. 

Respected Contributor
I haven’t had any issues with mine. I stopped buying them because I don’t like how they come packaged. It’s excessive for plastic containers that are supposed to be practically indestructible.
Respected Contributor

@Suneshine  No issues as you described.  I have old from the beginning and newer sets recently purchased, have given many as gifts, no issues.  Air and water tight, was giving info to a friend recently re-entering this area, she needs to add to her new kitchen and she'll be getting a few locknlocks without any worry about the quality.

Honored Contributor

@Suneshine wrote:

I have purchased this line of products for years.  I have found that the sets from most recent are not up to the same standards as the sets I purchased more than 10 years ago.  Those sets are going strong (just the basic original clear) but the new sets are not watertight, the snaps break off etc.  This is a line that cut corners a little too much.  Anyone else have the same experience?

@Suneshine , I'm a long time L&L user and I agree that the newer sets are flimsier . I too have some early pieces ( also clear ) and the snaps are just as strong as when I purchased them , the newer ones not so much. However they are still watertight in my experience.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I agree.  The older ones are better made with better materials. 

The newer ones are thinner, especially the lids.

I have some newer L&L where the tabs will not lock down and stay closed, some tabs broke off too.  The lids have slightly warped.

I have noticed that the problems seem only to be with the round ones and only with the lids, so I don't buy that shape anymore.

I have quite a few bottoms that are like new with no lids because they didn't last.  I now use the bottoms on my garage shelves to hold small parts and bits and keep them organized.

Contributor

Totally agree.  I have a houseful of Lock and Lock but the newer stuff is well below the original standard.  No more closing with one hand and the tabs break off a lot.  Sad when a product like this goes bad with cutting corners.

Trusted Contributor

I have a few sets of L&L and thought about buying another set or two to put in the motorhome since it has a residential fridge but as already mentioned I'm not thrilled with the quality any longer. And yes, the squares are much better than the round!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

Yes, product quality has seriously declined, so I no longer buy containers for the purpose of food storage.  My last purchases have been for the largest square containers to store medical supplies, where size is more important than quality.