Honored Contributor

Re: Letter to Mike George

[ Edited ]

@Spurtwrote:

@steviebwrote:

As for the item you highlight,  it says a lot of what some of us have been saying for so long... The one area, though, where I take exception to this and so many other posts that have appeared here and elsewhere is the assumption that Amazon is 'the' enemy...

Virtually every retailer now offers an on-line presence that one can access via a computer or various 'apps'. That Amazon is perhaps perceived as the preeminent 'threat' to retailers doesn't negate the fact that 'market share' is now split among plenty of retail resources, some with an online presence, some with physical stores, and some with both... Moreover, there's a failure to recognize the highly successful 'discount' chains, offering a wide array of frequently changing merchandise at low cost... Amazon is not the only competition by a mile...

Merely continuing to add jewels to the Liberty/"QVC Group" crown isn't going to accomplish much to make the two networks competitive. Market share might increase for the Group because there are more entities selling goods under their umbrella, but failing to 'get' that unless the management and overall operations of QVC and HSN themselves change dramatically, continued acquisitions aren't likely to make them any more competitive than they are currently, either with regard to their own long-standing dismal numbers or certainly compared to Amazon. I suggest the powers that be ponder that one for a while. 

As for 'the fan club', until QVC or HSN folds up their tent and goes home, they're never going to get it, because they simply don't want to...

@stevieb

Overlooking my own personal bad experiences with Amazon.....the reason why they are considered "the enemy"....is they don't seem to be satisfied with what they have...their tenatacles run far and deep and they aren't done.....they conquered retail and then expanded into the technology field not only with products but distribution of it as well....And recenly they entered the grocery game...Even WallyWorld is concerned.............

What I fear, being the good capitalist that I am, is they are mowing down all the other businesses as they go..OR to stay afloat companies will only be able to do business under their "umbrella" ...leaving us with less choices, and no competition as far as prices............

They are just getting too big for their britches and if they keep expanding and growing they will get more vulnerable...people are starting to see that some of their prices arent always the best....and your neighbors in the Qwappital may demand a breakup if you get my drift.......... And if more and more people shop online will they be able to keep up with the distribution...even the short Christmas season is a challenge to make sure goods are delivered in time.......

Call me old fashion but I actually like to go see products--- feel, touch them, check the quality, with clothes/shoes  try them on before buying.....And I smile thinking what I save on shipping...and I dont consider Amazon's Prime a bargain...I'd have to buy a heck of ton of stuff to make it worthwhile...

Everything is geared to the millelinals and I dont understand millelinals who are the I WANT IT YESTERDAY generation but are willing to wait for products ordered online to be delivered and I even had that conversation with them and even they couldn't explain it, do you actually like ordering and putting together furniture?????.....It doesn't make sense something has to give....even if you order for pickup at a store it still requires a waiting period....go figure.........

In the long run I think "discount stores" places like TJ's/Home Goods/Marshalls are going to be the winners....as people get tired of dealing with problems with deliveries, products arent what they seemed to be online, returns, shipping charges etc etc etc....perhaps the longing to touch merchandise before you buy.....and the growing problems of gangs of thieves stealing packages from doorstops

Interesting @Spurt that the moderator could edit my post in your response to it, but opted to delete my full original as 'inapropriate'...  I guess I should consider my fingers duly smacked... Shaking my head here... 

Smiley Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@TY The TJX offerings on-line are only for TJ Maxx. Marshalls, Homegood nor Home Sense have an on-line shopping presence and to tell you the truth, the TJ Maxx website isn't fully loaded. The stores are still a better bet, even given that the stores range widely in terms of quality and volume of merchandise. Still, they're an easy and entertaining shopping destination. I'm lucky to have a number of stores locally, so can visit as few or as many as I choose.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt To tell you the truth, I don't understand the adoration that some seem to have for Amazon either... As I mentioned, it's benefit to me is when I need to find something somewhat specific and can't find it elsewhere, I know they will typically have it. As for books, as hard as it is to believe, there isn't a really good used bookstore nearby, and while I occasionally still go to Barnes and Noble, I don't as often as I once did. All that said, Amazon is not a 'browsing' desination because the offerings are too overwhelming and I agree that the pricing isn't always there. Shipping is a strong suit, but with just a few exceptions, speedy shipping isn't always important to me. Like many on-line shoppers accessing whatever resource, there are times when the convenience of ordering and not going out and looking is an advantage, but for items that are more 'elective' in nature, I too like to go out and see what's around, try things on (without being charged for doing so) and so on, in person.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt I think TPTB know they're not going to capture a large percentage of 'Millinneals' (and how sick am I of that designation...), at least not via their home shopping network operations. They probably realize that their core audience is aging and that neither that audience nor the networks themselves, at least as they're currently constituted, are going to be around forever... To the extent they can capture a few younger dollars with some of the subsidiary retailers now under their umbrella, so much the better, but my guess is they and the stockholders are in it for what they can get out of it in the short to mid-term. I also think that while we're assured that both the two home shopping operations will continue, each with its own fingerprint, we'll see big, if gradual, changes to at least one of them, probably HSN. As I've mentioned before, just prior to the buyout, takeover... whatever... HSN had sent out a lengthy survey, seeking input on any number or programs they were ostensibly planning to pilot. Who knows if any of that will come to fruition, but even if filling the personal coffers and slowing the corporate bleeding in other than the long-term is the goal, one would assume they aren't going to willingly continue to let both operations flounder... Then again, one could be wrong, if the ongoing devolution of QVC is any indication...

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

wrote:

wrote:

The corporate PR letter from Mike George on the HSN website has a photo of him as well. I guess they don't expect the HSN customer to know who Mike George is or what he looks like. 

http://corporate.hsn.com/newsroom/happenings/a-letter-to-our-customers/

With regard to being recognized, most QVC shoppers also wouldn't know who Mike George is or what he looks like.  

@Trix

Oh I know what he looks like, if you read the financial 
"rags" you see his photo....and he's done interviews on the business channels too......but I think he relies on the rosey picture the Department Heads tell him....He seems rather oblivious as to whats going on as far as customer base, what customers really want (and its not celebrity products)....and he tauts the name brands, he doesnt realize what he's selling local stores and everyone else is selling ....there's even infommercials with the same products and vendors.....and long time customers are bored with repetiveness and dont watch or buy as much....

@Spurt My post was not to offend you and anyone else who does know who Mike George is and what he looks like.  That's why I specifically used the word most because I think we are in the minority on this.  I don't think shoppers go into stores or online sites searching for the names and photos of the coporate leaders.  Usually those who know the executives are folks who follow the business of retail and they generally read financial publications and watch the business news channels; or those who work in retail and read retail trade publications.  

Honored Contributor

@Trixwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

wrote:

wrote:

The corporate PR letter from Mike George on the HSN website has a photo of him as well. I guess they don't expect the HSN customer to know who Mike George is or what he looks like. 

With regard to being recognized, most QVC shoppers also wouldn't know who Mike George is or what he looks like.  

@Trix

"rags" you see his photo....and he's done interviews on the business channels too......but I think he relies on the rosey picture the Department Heads tell him....He seems rather oblivious as to whats going on as far as customer base, what customers really want (and its not celebrity products)....and he tauts the name brands, he doesnt realize what he's selling local stores and everyone else is selling ....there's even infommercials with the same products and vendors.....and long time customers are bored with repetiveness and dont watch or buy as much....

@Spurt My post was not to offend you and anyone else who does know who Mike George is and what he looks like.  That's why I specifically used the word most because I think we are in the minority on this.  I don't think shoppers go into stores or online sites searching for the names and photos of the coporate leaders.  Usually those who know the executives are folks who follow the business of retail and they generally read financial publications and watch the business news channels; or those who work in retail and read retail trade publications.  

@Trix

I wasnt at all offended by your post and hope my post didnt offend you.....It just so happens that Mr. George interviews pop up in the most unexpected places....thats the only reason I can recognize him.........Why they chose to interview him I can only guess is that out of all the shoppng channels the Q i the most "sucessful"....or claim to be....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

From what I see, younger people do not watch QVC or HSN.  I know younger people and those my age that shop at Amazon a lot.  None of my neighbors, friends, relatives shop at QVC or HSN.

Super Contributor

They seem to be getting younger hosts and pushing their apps but the views here are spot on.  I enjoy QVC and HSN for some types of shows and hope I still have opportunities to watch down the road.  And I hope this doesn't mean I get Argan oil, and My Pillow, and KIm Gravel on four channels now :-(

Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@Trixwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@Trix

@Trix

I wasnt at all offended by your post and hope my post didnt offend you.....It just so happens that Mr. George interviews pop up in the most unexpected places....thats the only reason I can recognize him.........Why they chose to interview him I can only guess is that out of all the shoppng channels the Q i the most "sucessful"....or claim to be....

@Spurt My guess is they interview him because the Q's publicists set these spin opportunities up for him... That's truly what they are...

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdeewrote:

From what I see, younger people do not watch QVC or HSN.  I know younger people and those my age that shop at Amazon a lot.  None of my neighbors, friends, relatives shop at QVC or HSN.

@Daysdee, Liberty Media (the parent co.) has made it a priority for QVC management to attract a younger demographic to becoming regular (repeat) QVC/HSN shoppers.  We see some of their efforts in the manner products are presented, the overbearing (imo) social media, younger hosts and guest vendors, channels like Beauty IQ.  QVC knows the average age of their frequent shopper/repeat customers is over 50 and that's not good for a retail business. We'll probably see more as they continue to try to make shopping QVC/HSN more relevant to those under 50.  Whether anything they do is successful in achieving their goal only time will tell.