Esteemed Contributor

Re: It Has Begun — Mirrored Programming

@Winkk 

Thanks for the article link. Amazing how much can change in only a year. QVC France is gone and so is Beauty IQ. There's been plenty of layoffs at HSN and a big QVC P.A. warehouse is scheduled to close as QVC opens a bigger one somewhere else in P.A. Nothing like slashing and burning your way to success, eh? 

Now it's onward and upward for Qurate (pronounced curate) as they count on artificial intelligence to lure in and keep new and old customers!

https://nrf.com/blog/how-tech-evolving-customer-experience-hsn-qvc-and-zulily

How tech is evolving the customer experience at HSN, QVC and Zulily

Honored Contributor

I won't watch recorded shows even if I haven't seen them.  Sizes, colors, etc. are gone but the biggest issue is that the "one day" price is no longer available.   Home all day today and haven't even "checked in" with QVC.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@corita wrote:

I think that is part of David's selling game. "Hurry up, the red is selling out" or "We just sold 200 out of the 500 we have in stock, they will soon be sold out"!!  Drives me nuts and that is when I pick up the remote and change channels...

Yes, David's shtick is so old, I wonder who falls for it.  Does anyone?  Maybe the seniorest of seniors!

Although the incessant repetition of colors and numbers available does get old really quickly, I think there are four reasons for it that make sense (well, at least the first three do):

1. If you are interested in a particular color, it is good to know if there aren't many left so you can take advantage of the opportunity to buy what you want before it sells out.

2. It's a time-tested sales technique that has proven to make people buy—if you are one of the lucky people who gets the item before it's gone, there's something special about you and the transaction.

3. Related to the previous two points, I think many of David's fans get caught up in watching his antics, so they may not be ordering until they realize they need to do so or lose the item.

4. David LOVES the recitation of the stats. I truly don't think he has to get pressure from his producers to provide those constant updates; just look at how obsessed he is with removing sold-out colors/items from the set IMMEDIATELY to retain control over his presentations.

Obviously, if you're not planning to buy at all, none of these things matter. But if you're even slightly interested, and especially if you fit any/all of categories 1-3, those sales details will likely make a difference for you.

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc Just my take, granted, but I think the statistics recitation is David's way to challenge himself to sell more--to exceed his prior success in terms of his sales volume.  None of his techniques irk me.  He's an excellent salesperson in my opinion and comes across as likeable and personable.  He relates to a wide demographic I think.

The rundown on colors, while seemingly repetitious, helps when someone wants to order by phone, which I don't do very often now that I have a computer at home since I retired almost two years ago.  Before that I was only able to order via the net at work on lunch or coffee break so I used the phone on weekends or at night.  When I watch on TV I have my laptop fired up and ready to order if I see something I want to order.  

Sometimes the names of the colors can be confusing and by doing the color closeups and stating the color names a customer can be more certain that they get the right shade.  

When you do the automated ordering by phone the color lineup can get confusing and a few times I've almost ordered the wrong color but caught myself in time.  

Think of the shades of "blue" or "red" and the fancy names they use and how easy it could be to select "periwinkle" instead of "cornflower blue" as a hypothetical example.  Doesn't matter as much if I make a mistake for the color of a can opener, but it does if it is a KitchenAid stand mixer or a Vita Mix--costly and heavy and expensive to return if I made a mistake.  Sometimes I had to phone and talk to a "live" operator to be sure I wouldn't make a mistake and they have always been great while doing a difficult job.   

I loathe having to return things and want to be sure I'm getting what I intend to buy across the board, whether it is clothing or kitchen items or home decor.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 - I totally agree that it is important to list and describe the variations of an item so people can make sure they're selecting the option they want, especially when there are multiple shades of a primary color—your point here is a good fifth reason for the repetition of details.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I didn't even know there was a QVC3.  I only get the original live QVC.  That's all I need.

@Winkk 

Are you sure that the programming you are seeing is "live"?  I think they're showing taped programming on all three channels from time to time lately.  It will say on the screen "LIVE" or "PREVIOUSLY RECORDED."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fortune - The main QVC channel is always live (except on Christmas Day). QVC2 is live from noon to midnight ET on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET on weekends. QVC3, which replaced the Beauty IQ channel, shows only previously aired content.

Honored Contributor

@Glitter51 wrote:

what’s the big deal!!! Just don’t watch. I’m sure there are other channels on your tv.  People complain about the most ridiculous stuff anymore.  

@Glitter51 

96c4144587d6b606b7cc1fa48bca444844d07884e15b19dbcadc1e00ac94a814.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Good grief.  Some posters here read exclamation marks into statements where there are none.  I never said it’s a big deal.

So to the old tired “turn the channel” mantras out there, this is a discussion forum.  I was making an observation about all the very recent QVC programming changes.  Interesting that they are, they also generate opinions and a discussion about the changes.  

If that’s too confusing, take your own advice and just move on from the post.

@Caaareful Shopper 

Well said!....Something needs to be done about the "turn the channel gang"....they are becoming as redundant as QVC's programming.....Woman Frustrated   They need to step away from the keyboard.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

Interesting article if you care to read it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-02-06/qvc-s-plan-to-survive-amazon-and-escape-the-cable...

@Winkk 

That was back in Feb 2018 and It had four straight quarters of sales declines before posting an increase last quarter...the last quarter of that report would've been 4th quarter-- holiday season 2017.  Sales have continued flat after that....and if it wasn't for a change in reporting/calculation methods they would have actually declined 1% for 2018..Report posted on Q Talk....Zulilly is the moneymaker for Qurate...Interested to see how Q fairs for first quarter 2019......