Honored Contributor

Safe to say, if it says "imported," it probably means "made in China" or East Asia.  Especially if it's relatively inexpensive.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Safe to say, if it says "imported," it probably means "made in China" or East Asia.  Especially if it's relatively inexpensive.

If it was made in Europe, they would say "Made in Italy" or "Made in France" etc. rather than "Imported," which means "We Don't Want to Tell You Where It's From."

Honored Contributor

Seriously? If I like the item, the quality is what I expect, and the price is good, I don't care where it's made/from. And that goes for food as well. The only thing I don't like is the reality of child labor; but OTOH, that exits in some countries whether I buy the jeans they make or not.

If companies could manufacture in the US without having to raise their prices to a degree that most people would not accept, they would. I don't think it's all about greed and profit, any more than it was 75 years ago. It's about making products that people will buy when considering quality and price.

Some imported goods are kvap; some are not. Purchasers sort that out for themselves in the marketplace.

It's not like people refusing to buy things not made 100% in the US will stop overseas work; it won't. I understand people having the courage of their convictions and buying "US made" only, but it isn't going to change anything.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Because retailers know that a "made in China" name isn't seen as a positive selling point. Neither are items made in other asian or south asian countries unless it's a handmade artizan item.

You will never hear a host or vendor brag that is where the item was made if that's the case that it was made in China.

But if a piece of jewelry is made in Italy or the makeup was made in France, or something was made in England or Ireland, it's another story entirely.

Or the host or vendor will brag that some item was designed in the U.S. or europe but not say where it's actually made.