Honored Contributor
Has anyone noticed, if you check a product online, that many items used to say "Made in China" and now many show "Imported"? Interesting! Too much talk on people trying to avoid made in China products, I guess......so let's try to throw off the customer....HA....nice try, does not work. If I really want to buy a product I won't let where it is made stop me. However, I prefer Made in America!
Super Contributor

Yesterday's TSV from S. Graver was manufactured in the Philippines (I've seen the same designer mfr. the same item number in two different countries (e.g., LOGO & WIC) so I assume it's easier to indicate IMPORTED). Global sourcing is mostly about bottom-line profits, sadly.

Honored Contributor

I think most people would prefer items made domestically, but personally, I'm sort of weary with the discussion. I assume if it were cost-effective for companies to do so they probably would. Some of it is undoubtedly greed, but there are many factors and personally, I don't want to pay any more for items than I already do. Like it or not, the unfortunate reality is that the economy today is a global one.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Very true, stevieb. And, LuvMySpaniels...maybe using Imported is better as it covers most items.

Honored Contributor

it is hard to predict where most of the products on QVC are made....could be almost anywhere in the world....except USA!

New Contributor

I will go under the assumption that the fact ""made in CHina"" is still the actual words and avoid at all costs.

Super Contributor

The reason why an item might say "Imported" is because it can have components made in different countries.

For example: A-239344 Vera Bradley Signature Print Jewelry Box

The fabric on the lid can be made in one country.

The lid itself made in another.

The hinges made in a third country.

The mirror made in a fourth.

The tray made in a fifth.

The box made in a sixth.

And the magnets made in a seventh.

Now, that is just for the box that YOU get.

The box that *I* get, those very same components, can be made in countries different than where yours were made.

THAT'S why an item says it is "Imported".

It's because the components are made in MANY DIFFERENT countries.

It's really as simple as that.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for responses......just something I noticed and wondered if others had as well...no big deal..just seems to be a new notation and coincidental with people tired of Made in China......it is what it is today......simple as that!

Occasional Contributor

This household has stopped purchasing "imported". It is only one household, but we have taken our stand. Made in the U.S.A. Including food products. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember watching Shark Tank once, when the "inventor" was pitching a handbag accessory.  Mark Cuban (the potential investor) actually told them to source the product overseas or he would not consider it.  They had tried to sell the item as "made in America" and he said, "Why?  And why does that necessarily mean inferior quality?".  The handbag inventor said the reason for emphasis on the Made in America label was because "that's what people want".  Cuban just rolled his eyes.

Cogito ergo sum