Trusted Contributor

If it helps ease anyone's mind, I was listening to one of Mary DeAngelis 5 o'clock IG talks and she mentioned that she often gets asked about all the food.  She said a lot of the "food"  you see on the set is not real, it's prop food.  If it is real, depending on what it is, is frozen after the showing and used again next time until it is un-usuable.  The vanilla ice cream could be mashed potatoes or butter. There is alot of fake food available for purchase by anyone ie: fruit and bread.  But I agree with the Germack and popcorn poured every where.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

If it helps ease anyone's mind, I was listening to one of Mary DeAngelis 5 o'clock IG talks and she mentioned that she often gets asked about all the food.  She said a lot of the "food"  you see on the set is not real, it's prop food.  If it is real, depending on what it is, is frozen after the showing and used again next time until it is un-usuable.  The vanilla ice cream could be mashed potatoes or butter. There is alot of fake food available for purchase by anyone ie: fruit and bread.  But I agree with the Germack and popcorn poured every where.

@grandma2pkmh Yes!  Prop food is coated, sprayed, colored, sets out, handled by a zillion people, and so on.  Hardly ever safe to eat.  You notice when they do eat there usually is a bite set aside for that

And when you are selling thousands and thousands of pieces, there is no "waste" from whatever amount they open on set in comparison to what they sell. 

Respected Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

That does make me feel better. I remember during a recent Gourmet show they were presenting seafood--shrimp--and there were huge platters of it. Remember thinking then that the amount they were showing would feed quite a few people and cringed at thought of it all being thrown out.

Honored Contributor

Imagine how many people touched the food before the show.  Given how easily the virus is passed to others, I wouldn't eat it either.

Valued Contributor

People other than the hosts touch the food for the presentations.  Additionally, they could be talking, coughing, sneezing and just breathing around the food.  We don't know if they wear masks/gloves but even if they do, it's always possible that someone, sometime, somewhere was around the food who was not protected or cautious.  They all talk around the food, the hosts are not wearing masks and usually not gloves either.  I've seen Alberti (and others) touch the food numerous times with his bare hands, and Rick D. who, even stated the first time that he knew he shouldn't, but that he couldn't help himself.  What???? 

What they present on camera is not necessarily factual off camera, including their behavior with regard to Covid19.  I've seen the employees "accidently" do something they shouldn't with respect to the virus restrictions.   At times, the camera catches things that aren't meant to be caught.

No worries about it going to waste either.  It's possible they ARE eating or taking the food home.  I've seen them put food on the side, even now....for later.  MBRoe, Rachael and Alberti can't stop talking about how hard it is not to eat the food and how tortured they are during the shows.  They even put food up to their noses and sniff it.

I will say that I don't understand why 2 hosts are needed for the food shows.  One talks, the other cuts, pours the food.  Why can't one person do that?  And I do agree with the other posters about why they have to keep pouring/opening/ putting more and more food out when there's already enough on the table.

I wouldn't eat the food, it's certainly not worth dying over.

I like them not eating the food during the shows now.  Much more pleasant to watch.  

"I never changed, I just learned."
Honored Contributor

In fact loooonng ago they had a rather interesting but short lived show on the Food Network that was a contest with Food Stylists....and they did all those tricks to make food look good on TV or for magazine photos.... So if you wondered why your food didnt look as good as on TV...maybe thats why.... Smiley Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

It must be killing David to not eat all the food he is selling.  He's a muncher.