Valued Contributor

I'm watching him cook and I watched last week too and I am not understanding why they are not eating any of the food? It seems like an awful WASTE of food... He says for Safety Reasons..but i'm assuming that if they are in the studio,they are not sick.. Maybe i'm crazy,but I don't get it

Honored Contributor

@Alexa6352 "Beating"? I think you meant "eating" but I got a chuckle! I've read on here that the food is given to the crew or donated, don't recall which.

Contributor

I have wondered this at every food show. They respect the 6 ft away but never touch a bite of food. Can't understand. Hope someone knows. Saw Alberti with beautiful steak and never touched a bite. WHY? 

Valued Contributor

fixed it thanks

Valued Contributor

maybe the Q has got him on a diet???

Valued Contributor

@Alexa6352 wrote:

I'm watching him cook and I watched last week too and I am not understanding why they are not eating any of the food? It seems like an awful WASTE of food... He says for Safety Reasons..but i'm assuming that if they are in the studio,they are not sick.. Maybe i'm crazy,but I don't get it

@Alexa6352 

I'm thinking it's because this virus is spread so easily from the tiniest particles that can be emitted from mouth when talking and nose when breathing, and that can contaminate both the food items and all other items on the set because this virus can live on various surfaces for long periods of time.

Respected Contributor

Viewers would lose their minds if the food was eaten...it's a dirty set countertop, he touched that with his hands, it's not safe & on & on. 

Respected Contributor

I understand for safety reasons not handling/eating the food. My prob with it is the huge amounts they set out for display. They could easily get by with showing one plate/platter of the food rather than wasting trays and trays of it just for display purposes.

Esteemed Contributor

The hosts have stated that the policy for now is not to eat the food on air. That does not mean the food is all just being thrown away, though I'm sure some of it will be (as always) due to prolonged exposure to the hot studio lights and other potential issues. It is very likely that there are the same people/roles keeping track of which food is still safe to preserve and share now as there always has been. And I've definitely noticed a big difference in how many packages get opened and the fact that very little of the food is touched or broken open in recent presentations, which is something they may be wise to adopt as an ongoing approach.

Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I understand for safety reasons not handling/eating the food. My prob with it is the huge amounts they set out for display. They could easily get by with showing one plate/platter of the food rather than wasting trays and trays of it just for display purposes.

@KKJ 

I wonder that too sometimes. Like when Germack or whoever it is with those jars of nuts. They have a dozen or more already filled bowls on display right in front of them yet keep opening more jars and waiting for the camera to zoom in so they can start pouring even more bowls full.