Super Contributor

Re: Hosts wearing heavy makeup

I always wonder why women who apply heavy black/dark makeup orbiting their eyes and eye sockets in one way or another are actually trying to look like racoons. To me, they sure do.

Respected Contributor

I have noticed this for quite awhile.  Especially now with Hi Def, their make-up looks so heavy and out-dated.  Tons of blush, very heavy eyeliner and false eyelashes, etc.  It makes them look so much older than they are.  When I see the Christmas tapes, when they are off the air, the hosts appear like they do off camera and it is an amazing difference.  They look so pretty and so much younger and modern.  They need to update the make-up.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that how much makeup a grown woman wants to wear is her business and not mine.

Some wear a lot, some wear a little, some have great makeup skills, some do not. I don't care either way because it has zero impact on the products they're selling and I may or may not be buying.

Women just can't do anything right, especially women on TV. They're called out for how they dress (a lot), how they talk, how they wear their hair, what their bodies look like (often) (really often) and for every other thing under the sun.

I'm over it.

Find something better to worry about.

Honored Contributor

I have noticed it too and yes it is distracting. I think having done theater makeup, it should still look good and natural, not just seeing the make-up.

I don't fault any of the hosts but  those doing the make-up are maybe not as experienced or just plain not good at doing make-up for tv.

You can enhance features and make them stand out without just seeing the excess of make-up.

And I think it is totally ok to comment on things like this. It isn't criticizing any person, just an observation from someone who watches and is interested in what they are seeing.

Of course there are many more serious and pertinent things to think or talk about but I doubt many would keep posting or reading if that is all these forums would be.

I like to have some distractions to all the worries and problems of everyday life. Make-up for sure is probably a well-loved topic for many.

As is fashion, pets, granchildren, food, decorations, hosts some see every day, etc.

I guess I see this too much, that posters are told that they should get a life, or glad they only have this to worry about etc. I don't think there is any need to put a poster down for commenting on something they noticed or that interests them.

If it doesn't interest others, then the nice thing to do would be to find something that interests them, rather than put down or criticize that poster because they think it is too unimportant to mention.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

On the bay...well said and thank you.
Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh...Shawn was just on and I did not know it was her. So fun....she had no make up on....get a kick out of her!!!! ☺️ Wish it would come back on...forgot the product. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

Honestly.....I miss wearing make up..... I do. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

I have noticed hosts who put heavy makeup on their face, sometimes on their neck, and leave their hands and arms pastey white.

And these are makeup "experts" and sales people?

Respected Contributor

The only thing that bothers me are the mascara demos where models are loading on the mascara. No one likes spider eyes, its plain stupid looking. I would never buy a product that promotes this.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about the hosts here, but for quite a long while, the heavier makeup look seems to be the norm for ladies on t.v.  In all aspects of news, commentating, political shows, entertainment.  Heavy, heavy, eye makeup, big eye-lashes, etc.  The natural makeup look doesn't seem to be popular much on t.v.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin