Trusted Contributor

Today I made a payment on one of my credit cards. They not only asked for the last 4 numbers of my account but the security code on the back of the card (something they've never asked for before).

A recording came on to say that a charge for (dollar amount) had been declined by QVC on 9/7.  First of all I haven't used that cc for a QVC purchase in well over a year.  My cc statements  for the last 6 months do not reflect any purchases from QVC.  I spoke to customer service at the bank that issued the card and they said it was a fraudalent purchase and they are closing that account and are sending me a new cc with new account number.  I called QVC to ask about this and they have no record of any purchases on this cc for a long time and have no record of any fraudalent behavior.  The cc I do use at QVC does not show a charge close to that amount or date. While I am relieved that the bank caught this, I am frustrated that QVC could offer no info as to how this happened.  Would appreciate anyone's explanation as to how this could happen with QVC not having a clue to what happened.  TIA. 

Honored Contributor

QVC does not have a record of it because your bank did not allow the purchase to go through.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd say - since QVC  hadn't seen that credit card number used recently - the computer just spit it out.  That can be a problem if you don't use a card occasionally - - fraud is the first thing that jumps out.  If I were you - I'd start over and make that card active again - tank of gas - groceries, etc.  I wouldn't be concerned too much.

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

[ Edited ]

Your CC information has clearly been stolen by someone who was trying to use it fraudulently.  Just be glad your bank has caught it and cancelled the card.

I've had it happen several times over the past few years and I've been grateful the banks have caught it every time.  There are so many nasty hackers and thieves out there now.

(ETA:  As for QVC rejecting a charge, it could be that, since you haven't used it for a long time with them, the expiration date they had wasn't up-to-date and the "purchase" would've been refused on that basis.  Count your lucky stars.)

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what happened, but wanted to mention something.  I've had my cc card deny charges before, but it was me using the card.  They immediately locked the card and sent me a text and left a voice mail.  Did the cc say why they stopped the charge since you have used that card at the Q before.  I'd follow up with the cc to notify you if this should happen again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@WORKING GAL  The primary CC that I use will ask for the three digits on the back when I'm making a payment if I've had other activity on the card within 24 hours. They are simply being cautious. Since it's really me, I know the last four digits of my social security number and those three digits on the back of my credit card and am ready to rattle them off when asked. Not a problem. I'm glad they ask!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

From reading the post, to me it was QVC that initially declined the purchase and then that action caused the bank to inform you. The bank did not catch the fraudulent activity, QVC did, and the bank reported QVC’s refusal to accept the card number. Kudos to QVC. When I have failed to update my card’s expiration date, QVC sent me an email to alert me that I had to do this before my charge could go through. I assume the attempted purchase triggered something in their computer system to reject it, and it’s odd you were not notified.

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady - My suggestion to QVC was just that.  They should ask for the 3 digit number on the back of the card for verification.

I've never had them ask me on any cc that I've used with the Q.

My daughter and I figured out what happened.  My account was not hacked. It was QVC's fault.  We got it straightened out with QVC and they admitted the error. What upset me the most is that if they had gone into her account and researched the question I had asked them (which they claimed they did yesterday), it would've shown up as a charge that should have been on her cc, not mine.  What clued us in was the dollar amount because this had happened before and we were told in March that this had been corrected.

A lesson to us all, scrutinize every order/charge.

Trusted Contributor

@SunValley - It was QVC's fault.  My daughter and I suspected that this was the same error that was made earlier in the year, which we assured had been corrected.  Obviously QVC had not made the correction.  It was the dollar amount that tipped us off.

It was the bank that declined the charge, as it was on my cc but not shipping to me or my address.  QVC admitted the error and again made the correction.  We will watch closely in the future to make sure this does not happen again. The bank was protecting me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GAL  Holy Cow! That began in March and you are still dealing with it? Crazy. Yep, I verify all charges against my VISA card every single month. They won't get past me! I've caught them on returning S&H that I paid the USPS return shipping. A quick call made them credit my account many times. GRRRRR. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.