Respected Contributor

Could someone enlighten me on why the hosts cannot eat on air? Guessing it has something to do with COVID but I don't understand. I'm not a big fan of the hosts eating on air and rolling their eyes or gasping for breath, but some make such a big deal about not being able to eat. It's not like they're sharing their dish or fork with anyone. Mary Beth wanted so badly to take a bit of Junior's cheesecake the other day but instead had to mush it all up with her fork. If we can eat in restaurants, why can't they take a bite? What do they do with all the food they mangle during these presentations? It's a mystery to me but I know y'all can help let me know their reasons. Guess I could be signed, "Clueless" 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carolina925 - I know it's because of the virus, but I don't understand it either.  If we get take out from a restaurant, we're eating food prepared by other people, so what is the difference?  I wonder also what they do with all the food that is on display.  It's such a waste when so many people are dealing with hunger.

Esteemed Contributor

My opinion on this is that they are presenting without a mask therefore their saliva spray when they are speaking, laughing, yelling.....whatever??!!  is getting all over the surface of the food in front of them.   No way anyone should be eating it, a bit wasteful, yes.  But it's the best way to present it.

Esteemed Contributor

Also the other staff is setting up the food for them and they have also been too close to it.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Also the other staff is setting up the food for them and they have also been too close to it.

@LindaSal 

And it's more 'other staff' on set than some may realize such as the host(s), the food stylist, the set designer, the lighting people, camera operators and so on.

Not to mention how hot those studio lights are, beaming on the food.

I wouldn't even want to eat it personally.

As to what happens to the foods presented, there are very strict regulations about donating food.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Carolina925 - I know it's because of the virus, but I don't understand it either.  If we get take out from a restaurant, we're eating food prepared by other people, so what is the difference?  I wonder also what they do with all the food that is on display.  It's such a waste when so many people are dealing with hunger.

With so many people dealing with hunger and unable to afford basic meal items, watching shopping channel people stuffing their faces is an even bigger insult in my mind.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

My opinion on this is that they are presenting without a mask therefore their saliva spray when they are speaking, laughing, yelling.....whatever??!!  is getting all over the surface of the food in front of them.   No way anyone should be eating it, a bit wasteful, yes.  But it's the best way to present it.

Totally agree with you! I think they're just trying to be as safe as possible under unbelievably difficult circumstances.Heart

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925  I agree with you.  These presentations are ridiculous.  They open or unwrap every single item, put their fingers all through it, cut it, stick forks into everything -- all of that to just throw it all away!  I don't understand why they have to open everything.  Can't they just keep the items in the containers instead of spreading everything out and present it that way?

Honored Contributor

I remember when people complained that they WERE eating on air, stuffing themselves and make yum yum faces. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I remember when people complained that they WERE eating on air, stuffing themselves and make yum yum faces. 

@GenXmuse  Yes, that is what was happening before the virus. Now it's just the opposite. Can't please Anyone!