Respected Contributor

Not just dollar stores. My mom works at a higher end thrift store and she says people bring in tons of this Christmas decor stuff to get rid of. I don't buy all the VPH and other Christmas decor stuff as how much of it does one need and where do you store it all?

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the reminder.  I want to pick-up a small bucket today at the Dollar Store; hopefully it costs only $1.00.

Trusted Contributor

@Othereeeen   I guess we now know where you do all your Christmas shopping.  I'm sure your place looks "extra special"

Honored Contributor

Re: Dollar Store in July

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

To those asking me what the "Dollar Stores" sell...Google is your friend.

Dollar Store, Dollar General, Ollies, and the old standby Walmart. And Target.

And this is NO bad reflection on those stores. Just camparison. Those balloon blow up mostrosities for your front lawn come to mind...an ALL stuff glitter, flameless candles, canlde candles,  lanterny stuff, cheap christmas lights and oversize statues. 

And knickknacks. LOTS of knickknacks....figurines, etc...

@Othereeeen 

Everyone has their own opinion but its funny because I find the stuff at Walmart and some of the Dollar Store stuff cheap looking, so I dont think thats an apples to apples comparison and wouldnt rush to buy things at those stores!.....Now if you had mentioned that comparable merchandise is better at Home Goods, Kirklands and/or Hobby Lobby and cheaper too---then Id definitely take notice.....and shop there.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't think the stuff Q sells is necessarily any better quality and def more expensive than my local WM or Dollar store. For example, I bought a strand of lights from VPH few years ago that quit working shortly after I got it. Got similar strand of lights at WM that still work fine for less than half the price of VPH.

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thanks for the reminder.  I want to pick-up a small bucket today at the Dollar Store; hopefully it costs only $1.00.

If you have a DollarTree nearby last week I got a small bucket with a handle that was just the perfect size and quite sturdy for $1.25

Honored Contributor

Here are some great stores for holiday seasonal things-

Dollar Tree

Cracker Barrel (online also)

Home Goods

The old CVS and Rite Aid used to have great things for really low prices. Some still do. CVS has great current popular toys believe it or not.

and Walmart.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@CoffeeNut 

My house looks fine.

No plastic blow up stuff ( that looks like discarded plastic bags from a distance), no glitter, no smelly candles that "evoke Christmas past", no hokey figurines of every description, no garland drooydraped all over everything, and no four foot high figures...available in white OR black!!!

I also don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy batteries for all this imported junk.

And NO fauz "americana" inspired  resin Christmas stuff made you know where!!!

Yep...looks just fine.

I support local shops for real wreaths, I use older real glass ornaments, and visit people who's homes are overdone in this stuff, and on the way home, think..."Sheesh what were they thinking ?????"

A lot of this stuff is marketted as homey old time when we were kids...I got news for your. MOST kids today have NO IDEA what 1950's red trucks looked like, nor are they interested. I'm 66 and I don't know what that red truck is supposed to symbolize...they're all in the dump.

I DO have the full size "leg lamp" from "A Christmas Story*"...but of course it's a major award so it'll always be classic!  

*Movie made in 1983 that most kids today don't know what it is either. No CGI special effects, loud music or costumed superheros so not interested!

Honored Contributor

Someone mentioned HSN on another thread and I forgot about them.

They have a lot more varied things and free shipping too.

I wasn't going to get anything this Christmas but saw a winter pillow over there I loved.

Some of their prices are ridiculously high for some vendors and some are very reasonable and less than QVC's and Valerie's. They are selling some of the same candle scenes as Valerie for less and just different color base (which I think are nicer).

As many have said, Valerie used to have so many nice and interesting things that were well made and unique. A lot of her things now are really not exclusve to her, and sold for much less elsewhere. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

i have no desire to dictate what others do in their homes or where and what they buy.

strange that some do

very strange

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~