Honored Contributor

Does anyone else not like Christmas?

I admit it.  I'm Scrooge.  I don't like the hubbub around Christmas, gifts, decorations, parties, work functions, most of the music, etc.  The only exception is Christmas Eve when my entire family is together.  Otherwise, I'd be much happier skipping December altogether.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not like Christmas?

I really enjoy Christmas eve at church. My favorite part of the holiday. Christmas day iis kinda no big deal to me as all I ever do is cook for DH's family, because they live closeby. I do enjoy company, but not when I am stuck in the kitchen alone almost the entire day. I do get to come out to serve appetizers and put the food on the table. DH cooks the rib roast for me so he may come and go but otherwise they don't even bother to come in and ask if they can help or sit and chat with me while I work.I have a rule that EVERYONE has to help get everything cleaned up.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think my best friend (out of state) has the right idea. She and her three grown children bring their families to a cabin in the mountains, where they cut down a fresh tree and make homemade decorations for it. They sing carols accompanied by her son's guitar, and give imaginary gifts.  She tells me that last year she got the gift of patience from one daughter, and the gift of more hearty laughs from her son.  What a wonderful way to celebrate what should be a happy and non-commercial season.

For me, the best part is our midnight service at my church. Candles and carols, along with poinsettias predominate.  Singing Silent Night outside with our candles in the cool dark is special.  And interestingly enough there's almost always a couple waiting to get married after the service. The church is already decorated, so why not?  All the parishioners are invited to stay.

Respected Contributor

I'm one of those people who gets miserable in the winter because of the minimum sunlight.  So I don't hate Christmas, I just wish I could skip from Halloween to Easter.  I hope your Christmas Eve is fun for you & your family.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart

I feel pretty much the same. When we first married, I noticed DH always seemed rather down at Christmas (unusual) so after a fewcyearscinasked him why. It seems it was a pattern started by his dad, due to the passing of his grandmother. Oh dear!

i have really backed off as much of the stress-causing traditions as possible. I prefer a quiet peaceful holiday time!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

ME !!!!  I wish I could hibernate like a bear until the whole thing is over.........

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Like lovestoteach, my DH does not enjoy Christmas.  I keep things simple and still find joy in the season. 

151949:  Time to change the rules.  If you have the rule that everyone has to help clean up, you could have a rule that everyone brings food for the meal.  It should be easy since they live closeby.  That should get you out of the kitchen!  Remember that no one takes advantage of you without your permission. 

Respected Contributor

Not too much family left here, I might decorate my mom's room and that's it. It's cold and dark,😊  Spring will come.  So no, I'm just not into any Christmas spirit. 

Respected Contributor

I enjoy Christmas, in particular the religious aspect and looking at all the decorations. Don't care much for all the hype leading up to it though, especially the older I get. I long for a Little House on The Prairie Christmas, sitting around with family and friends telling stories and playing music, not worrying about who out spent who on the gifts.
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart    

No, Calmin, I absolutely would never choose a word, as Scrooge, for  `you~

I think what is over the TOP is all of the commerization of a Holy Day and I do agree. 

Never understood the parties for Jesus' birth date, Christmas; can do without all of the Christmas shows all day long ( I have come to believe) on TV. I definitel DO believe the majority of people are exhausted by the day before.

AND! "..... (I'm not here that often to even view 90% of what is on TV, so I am guessing from what I have heard or read" )......

One nice gift and family together, along with a meaningful happy dinner with family and friends. Mom And Dad will not be here for every year, so soak in what love you have, now.

Wishing a wonderful season for you and your family~

I was reared to have reverence for Christmas -and NO I do not get involve with the masses of people shoving, pushing- BUY BUY BUY.

Receive more happy times watching small children, at this time. 

You sound very Grounded to me. AND! I am ___>not a scrooge.

We do have small tokens to give. It is the most stressful time of the YEAR, that I do know. 

NAES