Honored Contributor

Re: Carolyn Gracie on Denim + Co

@febe1 wrote:

This week on D&C, Carolyn wore an open front cardigan. She offered it was a size l4 and that she couldn't close it but if it were a button or zipper jacket she would go up a size.

It puckered in the back when she moved her arms. The cardigan was meant to be roomy. But if Carolyn had gone up to a l6, it would have been huge and sloping at her narrow shoulders.

To look good in a jacket or cardigan, you got to have a great shoulder fit.. She's got double trouble with narrow shoulders and apple shape.

Saw that and agree with you.  I think Carolyn may have put on a few pounds because she has upped the size she claims to be.  She now says she mostly orders XL.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Spurt  Whether it's me or a Q host, wearing too tight clothing makes you look heavier. I think it looks like either you gained weight and can no longer fit in your clothes or you went shopping & refuse to look in the full length mirror instead of the size on the label. 

I've said it here before, I wear a 2-4 bottom and 10-12 top because I did gymnastics from age 4 through college & continued to train/maintain muscles in my back & shoulders. I'd never try to squeeze myself into a size 8 jacket...who cares what the tag says. It's the fit that counts.

@Shanus

I totally concur with what you said.....too tight clothes looks like somebody squeezed into something they purchased awhile back but no longer fits because they've must've gained some weight......it is definitely NOT attractive!!!!  Carolyn needs to wear a XL (and I'm not knocking Carolyn, in fact she's my favorite host) I just think she'd look better if she sized up just a tiny bit....  I heard her say, and I think she got this from a stylist, if cloths are tighter fitting they make you look smaller and looser clothing makes you look bigger..I've seen XS size women squeeze into an XXS and the results was also not good...As you said, the BEST solution is a PROPER fit....

And in your situation that's why I don't like it when QVC offers sets (tops/bottoms) in a single purchase....because a persona may be one size in the top and another on the bottom......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@Shanus@ and @Spurt,

I have often wondered what is 'this thing' about being spewed out ..` I'm a Xsmall or small, et cetra?..

I have very little time to know of each clothing line, or when on.

What I do hear quite frequently is ( and it IS somewhat questionable) in believing, but I can view when someone is a medium or XL. This has to be vanity hopeful sign of Alice in Wonderland for several. 

Certainly, I am never here to pin point anyone's sizing, because I am very small waisted but large busted, so I could not wear a general size in what I should compare myself with whom.

I do enjoy the vendor(s) and what are some of the comments being said of [said] garment. 

Also, I recognize that Q-factory and D&Co is geared for the larger woman and most look great with beautiful coordinating accessories.

May be that our tv is off center -that could be?

Knowing very little who has size what is immaterial to me as long as I think it may be something that I may wear, but more than often, I shop at a retail shop and try my separates on. 

If a host boasts she is a size 1, or in a large, then `so be it.

This too TIGHT clothing whatsoever does not or would not convince me to buy _MY SIZE_ ....much too confusing. 

I do find that Louis Dell 'Olio works better for me than any line, buying from TV shopping. 

For someone as JT, she is wide in the hips but small in the bust, so she could go up a size to maybe a medium and look grand?

Back to what I have seen of CG several weeks ago, she said she is a large, and that is somewhat difficult to understand. Maybe - 1X or even an extra large.. THE HIPS....clothing should not emphasize the wide hips.

Jackets too small, I give up on the no button to close due to looking too small. Their problem. I would rather wear loose clothing and be comfortable than have the no lady like look that even my husband says, 'she should be in a skirt or dress', as he passes through the TV room.

Again, I did think it was the curve of our new TV presenting an abnormal sizing presentation. And! When did the size 12 become a fat size??. I have many friends in a 10-12; each looks beautiful with a lovely posture and how they put everything together so well.

Sporting clothing then bashing is something I don't do, but certainly can observe. Everyone looks as well as they can...no 18 to 20 year old models with a very thin package, that 'I' have seen frequently, but as mentioned, I do not 'catch these fashion shows as much as most do. 

NAES

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon

Correct.

That was what I had tried to say in my post minutes ago.

She is on the larger size, yes, an apple shape. Ms. Gracie.

Not every one is going to be model perfect.

I really never noticed her shoulders but she could not look lady like in those often seen too snug jeans. Not flattering at all, but am learning that most women are ID'd in too tight -hippie/hippY tight attire. 

There is one model, I believe her name is Marie/Maria, an Italian appearance whom had said 1 time she was an extra large.

She wears her clothes as a lady should and appears to me as attractive. Some women just do not have the flavor of self to be inspired to be gracious or having a glamorous WoW. 

I view those women as on the farm/ gardening, or down to earth-

......."a typical American style". I know of many, here where I live.

"I have traveled the world many times and always note the beautiful carefully _put together look_ very old European/ Classy and purely lady through & through".

My parents reared me to be very appropriately dressed through my

( t'ween) years through my young adult years.

Men love a lady!   LOOK!

As long as we have our HEALTH at close to 100%, there is your GOLD!

The RICHEST OF ALL, 

NAES

Valued Contributor

As my grandmother used to say .   I never heard such carrying on !!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you can not zip, button, snap, or velcro your clothes .....and they have have these devices sewn in to them...they are too small. I have never seen a person that looked good in ill fitting clothing. This is my opiniion of all people not just hosts...I like Carolyn very much and think she does a great job.

Respected Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

i give up

I think a jacket SHOULD fit that the zipper COULD be used.  You may choose NOT to use it, but a proper fit means the zipper could be closed.

You may notice that the jacket can be tight in the arms or across the shoulders.

For me, if I cannot button or zip an item, the size is wrong.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

Carolyn has a difficult body type to dress as she pear shaped. She has narrow shoulders and heavier upper arms but her hips and lower body looks to be at leat one size larger than the top. I've noticed that not all of the Denim & co clothes look good on her for that reason. I don't think very much of the QVC stylists either as it not just the hosts, but the models, who frequently don't wear clothes that fit them.

But I think the models are given the clothes to wear.

There are a couple models who wear jackets way too small, and they look bad.  It is not a good representation of the product at all.

Wearing clothes in a size that does not fit is not helping anyone!  Everyone looks best in the size that truly fits.  So, wearing an XS when you really should be in a medium just looks silly.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Feliciti wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Feliciti. Wearing baggy jackets or clothing to try to disguise your "flaws" is just as unflattering as trying to squeeze into a garment that's 2 sizes too small. No one but you can see the size tag inside tops or bottoms.....if it bothers you, cut the tag out. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I have zero problem with a size, and I've not said here that anyone should wear anything too large. Just the opposite, in fact.

I remember a friend of my dad's saying to his wife that she should stop worrying so much about what her weight was.  He said that no one had their weight inscribed on their tombstones!  He said birth-death, but no weight!  Loved that one.

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

Actually, I don't pay all that much attention to what they wear unless I absolutely love the outfit they're wearing.  CG is a great host and I enjoy her.  With some of the others I just can't stand their voices and the way they talk.  I just can't listen and will mute them or change the channel.

Valued Contributor

@TY thanks for finally pointing that out, it was driving me crazy that someone kept saying she was apple shaped!  I'm apple shaped, skinny legs and small hips heavier in my midsection.  CG is most definitely pear shaped...