Valued Contributor

I purchased an LG TV from QVC a few years back (about 4-5 yrs ago) and it was not cheap.  I always thought LG was one of the best brands out there.

At 3:00am this morning, I woke up to find that my TV set in the bedroom had sound but no picture.  Needless to say, there is no service contract / warranty at this point.  I had to purchase a new TV, although I didn't purchase it from QVC.

I researched the problem on the internet today and it turns out that the LG LED Smart TV, after about 5 years of use, has this problem.  It's actually LIKELY to happen, as it DID.  I am going to see if someone can fix it (if the price is right) but I needed a TV now.  If it can be fixed, I will move it to the living room.

What gets me is I've NEVER had a tv last for so little time.  I STILL own 2 Magnavox tv's, never serviced that are both over 25 years old.  I THOUGHT this LG would be long lasting as well.  What a surprise.

Beware.  I've also purchased at least 3 HP computers from QVC as well when they were TSV's (different ones at different times) and have never had anything but problems with them.  Worst purchases I've ever made.

Just wanted you to beware.  

"I never changed, I just learned."
Honored Contributor

@LilMadi wrote:

I purchased an LG TV from QVC a few years back (about 4-5 yrs ago) and it was not cheap.  I always thought LG was one of the best brands out there.

At 3:00am this morning, I woke up to find that my TV set in the bedroom had sound but no picture.  Needless to say, there is no service contract / warantee at this point.  I had to purchase a new TV, although I didn't purchase it from QVC.

I researched the problem on the internet today and it turns out that the LG LED Smart TV, after about 5 years of use, has this problem.  It's actually LIKELY to happen, as it DID.  I am going to see if someone can fix it (if the price is right) but I needed a TV now.  If it can be fixed, I will move it to the living room.

What gets me is I've NEVER had a tv last for so little time.  I STILL own 2 Magnavox tv's, never serviced that are both over 25 years old.  I THOUGHT this LG would be long lasting as well.  What a surprise.

Beware.  I've also purchased at least 3 HP computers from QVC as well when they were TSV's (different ones at different times) and have never had anything but problems with them.  Worst purchases I've ever made.

Just wanted you to beware.  

@LilMadi  How long was the warranty for on the TV?  

In the future buy your expensive electronics from a local Business.....that saying, you can not blame QVC for a TV with problems five years out.  Few electronics have  warranties more than maybe one or two years. After that  who knows how long they will last? 

Most TV's  today are throw away......good luck in getting it fixed.

Esteemed Contributor

This is an LG problem.

Our LG is at least 7 years old and going strong, thankfully.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

i don't do LG or HP (except printers).  i am in the electronics field and have great access to any mfg.  also exposed to all the issues and challenges with all mfgs.

my personal choices are:

tv = sony

laptop = lenovo and surface

phone =  samsung

printers = hp laserjet

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

Same thing happened to the Haier TV I got from QVC, although it lasted about 7 years.  I wasn't surprised because Haier is mostly a refrigeration company.  I liked it because it had an ivory bezel, but it had horrid audio.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the heads up.  I always suspected the electronics were sub-par at qvc not to mention too expensive for what you’re getting.  

I think the easy pay makes it attractive because the outlay is high for items like this so I’ve been tempted though. 

Honored Contributor

@TheMemphisVette............I agree with your list except the phone, my samsung is a piece of junk.   Love my Sony TV.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I would never buy a tv from QVC, I always go with Costco or Amazon and buy an extended warranty.  I like to read the specs and the reviews on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

OLED tvs have extrodinary pictures. 

Honored Contributor

I never buy electronics from the Q.  I do buy a lot of clothing, makeup, shoes, kitchen and decorative items.