Honored Contributor

It's basil, not baasil.

Respected Contributor

Where I came from it's called putting on airs. Like air kisses...

Honored Contributor

Americans say bay-sil

I say Baz-ill

Respected Contributor

Basil Rathbone?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

As is the case with so many pronunciations people like to complain about, the way you say this word probably depends on where you were raised. If you understand what the person is saying and it isn't causing any actual problems, do yourself a favor and let it go. A comment here won't change anyone's behavior, and venting about something in a forum where people are prone to argue with you is just going to make you even more frustrated. Hope you have a nice night...

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I say bayzul.  Since I have said the word basil maybe about 10 times total in my almost 65 years, I don't think that I will be working on correcting my pronunciation any time soon 😄

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Where I came from it's called putting on airs. Like air kisses...

@chessylady 

Uh .....  so where do you come from? 

The purpose of air kisses aren't to "put on airs".  The purpose has always been to assure that a woman's lip gloss doesn't smear onto the other person.  

Valued Contributor

The pronunciations don't bother me, however, I think it is so unprofessional for a host to use etc. it appears she is too lazy to do her job and saying well you figure out the rest of it.  There is one host that does this all the time...I"m curious if anyone else has noticed. 

Trusted Contributor

What host said baasal?

Honored Contributor

The one and only mispronciation that irritates me is "SHEE-cog-uh"

♥Surface of the Sun♥