Honored Contributor

question about coconut oil texture

[ Edited ]

I ordered a jar of coconut oil from Amazon for Ava.  I thought it was supposed to be a solid, and the video looks like it's solid.  It came completely melted.  Will it become solid again?  Should I refrigerate it?  Can I give it to her as is?

I tried calling the company that makes the coconut oil (CocoTherapy) and sent them an email.  It could take a while to get a response though.

Edited to say:  

I did get an instant reply to my email.  They said that coconut oil melted at 78 degrees.  They said I could use it as a liquid or refrigerate it. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: question about coconut oil texture

@NickNack   I've only purchased and/or received coconut oil as a solid. I assume it melted in mailing. I'd put it in frig. and see if it turns solid. Smells OK? To be nosy, why are you giving it to Ava? Maybe something I missed for Molly.

Respected Contributor

Any that I have ever bought will liquify when it is really hot out, then solidifies when it is cooler.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@NickNack   I've only purchased and/or received coconut oil as a solid. I assume it melted in mailing. I'd put it in frig. and see if it turns solid. Smells OK? To be nosy, why are you giving it to Ava? Maybe something I missed for Molly.

Thanks @Shanus .  The trainer I hired to help me with Ava's fear of Henry and her shyness told me I could put it on her Greenie and Nylabone to get her interested.  It's actually supposed to be good for dogs for many reasons.  I did get an instant reply to my email.  They said that coconut oil melted at 78 degrees.  They said I could use it as a liquid or refrigerate it. 

This is one bit of information from their website:

Numerous benefits of coconut oil for pets have been reported and the growing evidence is impressive. According to Dr. Bruce Fife, coconut oil supports a healthy metabolism, providing a higher level of energy and vitality. In dogs, the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil support healthy thyroid function, supporting healthy weight levels and optimal energy levels. As a bonus, coconut oil supports healthy dog's skin and coat. Read the article in The Whole Dog Journal to read about coconuts and dogs.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @NickNack for that quick reply and great info. My only concern would be loose stools. Guess the vets know best. *With all those benefits, I may have a shot myself.

Esteemed Contributor

Coconut oil have a very low melting point, somewhere aroung 76 degrees.  The jar I have sitting on frig will melt and solidify depending on the temp.  It should be fine to use.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Thanks @NickNack for that quick reply and great info. My only concern would be loose stools. Guess the vets know best. *With all those benefits, I may have a shot myself.

@Shanus   Yes, you're supposed to go very slowly with coconut oil and give very small amounts to prevent loose stools.  All I plan to do with it is rub it on Greenies and Nylabones.

She loved the Greenies for a few days, and then she started refusing them.  I gave her one today with coconut oil rubbed on it, and she ate it.  I've always given my dogs a Greenie every day, because I think it really helps their teeth.  

I gave her a Nylabone when I first got her and there was blood on it.  The Vet said it was too hard for her and to try a flexi Nylabone. She won't chew on it, so I thought I would try the coconut oil.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   Yes, Molly gets a Greenie everyday, too. Those nylabones splinter after awhile, too. Hurt Molly's gums even as an adult. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@NickNack   Yes, Molly gets a Greenie everyday, too. Those nylabones splinter after awhile, too. Hurt Molly's gums even as an adult. 

@Shanus   I throw the Nylabones away after they've chewed them down a little bit.  I never let them get too far down.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack , Yes it melts  when warm,and when it becomes cold ,it is a solid, i give my dogs a teaspoon in winter ,about 3 times a week,but ava is small ,so be careful because ,it can put weight on her.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.