Respected Contributor

My west highland terrier will be 15 years old in may and we went to the vet today.  Needless to say, the vet came out and said Toby needs ****** gland sacs removed.  Has anyone here had any experience with your animal and this type of surgery?  Any help is appreciated as he is my Tonto to the Lone Ranger, we are inseperable.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols   I think I'd get a second opinion on that, especially with a 15 year old dog.  Actually, I'd flat decline.  I suspect things are slow in the vet business and he/she could use some $$$.  Are you attached to this vet?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I have been going to this clinic for years and generally never see the same vet two visits in a row.  Toby has had his an** gland packed with antibiotics and the problem persists.  He was smelling and scooting so off we went today and now they want to do removal.  Toby belonged to my mother and she passed away in 2016 and I promised I would take care of him so I am torn on what to do.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols   Get an opinion from an unrelated vet.  Surgery, just the anesthesia, on a 15 year old dog is risky.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Thanks so much for your guidance, it is so appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols -

Maybe read up on dogsnaturallymagazine.com re alternatives to dog gland surgery.

The surgery has many risks with not always good outcomes and many possible complications which you can read about, esp. for an older dog.

I hope you can find some better and gentler non harmful solutions.

If it was my dog, I would avoid the surgery.

You've got to keep your Tonto!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I had a dog with persistant problems like that, and she did have the surgery.  She was about two years old though.  It scared me to have it done, but I trusted the Vet who did it.  It was successful, and she never had problems like that again.

I would think long and hard before having any kind of surgery on a 15 year old dog though.  There can be complications with that surgery, and a surgery of any type is hard on a dog that old.  I don't think I would do it, but of course, I don't know the extent of her problems.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Years ago we had an English Setter who had her glands removed.  The tissue was thin and the glands filled so frequently I was emptying them 1-2 times/month.  The vet removed them with 2 little incisions. Post op she had wear the cone and I had to clean the area after every bathroom break for 10 days. 

She did well and afterwards both of us were happier.  By the way, 2 different vets, in 2 different locations, suggested this. If I was confronted with this again, I would go ahead.

Each animal is different. You will do the right thing. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@Boomernichols  You are breaking my heart...I love my dog like you love yours, so I understand how much you want to do this surgery and keep him with you!  ❤️

Question: How long have you been seeing this vet? Do you feel comfortable with them?  Did they seem to be optimistic about the surgery and his ability to heal well, etc. afterwards? Have you researched this procedure to see if the results are good? These are just some questions to help you make a better decision. ? 

Maybe find a pet forum online or Facebook to see what others have experienced? 

Saying a prayer for your Tonto. 🙏

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

@Boomernichols  My poodle (my inseperable bff 😊) also had gland issues constantly. At age 15 and 16 I dealt with it and found ways to manage it with my vet. Surgery was not mentioned by my vet unless absolutely dire/necessary. 

It's an effort but what we did that worked well,  was to have his glands expressed every 6 weeks and a change in diet to bulk up the stools.  I had a few late night emergency vet visits to have them expressed. That's how bad they were.  Besides the 6 week gland  express,  We did a vet prescription diet, warm compresses  on them, i cooked organic chicken etc  Wonder why your vet wants to do surgery first unless they are badly infected? Would an antibiotic help first? My boy  tended to have ibs so I always had metronidazole, pepcid and carafate on hand.  At the 6 week mark, my poodle  would get back pain and lean against the wall quietly.  Thats when we knew it was time for an "express job". 

Changing his diet, expressing glands more often, eventually regulated him to an as needed basis and more  comfortable life. I'm hoping same outcome for Toby!  💖🐾  Keep us posted...