Respected Contributor

Do You Feed Your Dog Before or After ...?

Before or After their walk?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Feed Your Dog Before or After ...?

@RinaRina    You should walk after the dog eats.  That's when they need to poop.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I walk our boy we go out at 5:15 as it's just starting to get light. He has no trouble pooping. He and I then eat breakfast when we get back.

When my husband walks him about 6 am now that it gets hot so quickly, again, before breakfast and is a good pooper.

Ive walked him after breakfast when it was quite chilly early and sun was coming up later.

We've found no difference.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay .. just checking.

The other day, I read about something called "stomach twist", so, I was a little concerned.

We just came home from a 1 hour walk. 

When I looked at the clock, I thought, "oh no, it's time to eat and take another walk".

THEN, I thought about that article.

Have you ever heard of "stomach twist"?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina    As I recall, it occurs most often in large dogs.  I had collies for years and never experienced it nor do I recall any of my collie-owning friends having had a problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I never based dog walks on when they eat except I don't think they should be less than an hour or two after they eat.  

I take them out when it's best for me, not when they tell me it's time. Sometimes, it's mornings, afternoons, and evenings.

Honored Contributor

my dog said what walk? LOL

he HATES to walk. right after he eats he takes a stroll on the grass by himself and does his thing......like clockwork.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

The morning walk is always the first thing in the morning, followed by breakfast.  There is never a problem with pooping before the food.  Dinner is usually after a walk,too, but is sometimes first.   No problem either way.

Esteemed Contributor

My 11 1/2 year old boy will not eat until AFTER he has gone outside, morning & evening.

Honored Contributor

My two little dogs who passed this past winter walked before breakfast every morning and then walked again after dinner.

I have a new puppy now.  She walks before breakfast..first thing after waking up,  and then again breakfast.  She takes a long walk after dinner.  We are working on getting her on a regular routine for eating  and walking and,pooping, but I suppose we're not there yet.