Trusted Contributor

do you ever put a bit of the bacon grease on your pets' food?  i do but just a few drops.  it really flavors the dry food and my gang of three love it.

my old vcet said that it was okay to do so and that it helped keep pets warm in the winter.  they burn fat to keep warm during the winter.

Trusted Contributor

Re: bacon grease

[ Edited ]

@shortbreadlover   Anytime we have some, we add it to their food. They also like avocado oil sprayed on their food.  They are so picky we do what is necessary in our minds to help them eat.  We are trained well!

Honored Contributor

I do not put bacon grease on Kingston's food, but I fry bacon hard to render most of the grease off and crumble the bacon bits on his food.

I also cook beef liver and boneless skinless chicken breasts, chop them up and add a little to his dry food.

He loves grated cheese and chopped fresh carrots too on his food.

I just try to switch them up, it keeps him loving his dry food.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

No, I do not add bacon grease to my dogs food.  One of my dogs has heart disease and I am careful in watching the sodium she eats.

My dogs live in a nice warm house with us and they do not have to keep warm in the wintertime.  We have to keep our heat lower than we like in our home  because they overheat. They are both long hair breeds.

I feed my dogs Orijen dry dog food and they love it.  I don't have to top it with anything.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

my dogs are bostn terriers.  all are rescues and they stay indoors but they can not take really cold weather or really hot temps.  they all love people food.  in fact, if i put down just dry food for them, they will turn up their pugged noses atit.

Trusted Contributor

mine have me well trained too.

Respected Contributor

Wonder if it will work for cats?  Our two fur babies sometimes go on a strike with their food.  They will not eat canned cat food, only dry.  I give them Iams but right now they are rebelling.....again.  Maybe I will try it for them,

Honored Contributor

There has never been any bacon grease in my home....but I remember that as a young child.  I would not feed that to my pets or anyone else.  

Valued Contributor

My parent's cat (who is around 12) loves bacon - anytime he hears the microwave run he thinks it might be bacon for him. My parents usually fix bacon at least one time on the weekend and he gets a few pieces; when I am down on weekend he gets a few extra as I usually eat my breakfast for lunch as I sleep-in on the weekend.

Honored Contributor

I would never eat it, so I would never give it to my dog.   Bacon fat is Carcinogenic, a saturated fat full of salt and msg. Just use salmon oil instead.