Honored Contributor

Anyone have one of these machines? what do you think about them? Are they worth the money? What are the pros and cons. so many out there but reviews are not the best. I have one cat  in  small apartment and her litter box and the litter are really a mess and smelly. hate a litter box in my livingroom--

thanks---

Super Contributor

Re: automatic cat litter box

I had one at least a decade ago, probably longer and I was not happy with it.  The "teeth" what scooped the litter would get clogged up and it was messy to clean.  But perhaps they have improved with the new models.  I keep my kitty's box in a private space in my bedroom and I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Cat Litter and it really seems to keep down the odor.  At least I don't smell anything.  If you do purchase an automatic litter box would you please post what you think of it.  

Honored Contributor

My husband is obsessed by the rotating one.  So far, I have talked him out of it.  Now I see there's another similar one but it has a smaller entry hole, so it's an easy no.  I keep telling my husband Queso won't go in because of the hole he has to go through.  We have a plexiglas piece with a hole in it that the cats can use to go from the living room to the sunroom where the kitty stuff is and Queso pretty much refuses to use it.  He'll go up to it and even stick his head in and look around, but I can count the number of times on one hand he has actually used the hole.  It used to be an actual cat door with a flap before we insulated and added heating to that room, and he NEVER used it. 

The other cat is blind, and I can't imagine trying to get him to figure out he needs to jump up to get into the litter box.  He has no problem with the hole in the window, so that's not the problem, but he also learned the landscape of the house as a kitten.

Another issue for Queso is the way he urinates.  He starts low, but then raises up and it's almost like he's spraying against the wall of the litter box.  So, the clump would get stuck to the back of the rotating litter box and probably won't drop into the container below.  I think he saves his pee up so he doesn't have to go so often judging by the size of those clumps against the wall of the litter box.  

Honored Contributor

IF only there were automatic cats...Woman Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

I had one about 15 years ago and couldn't wait to get rid of it.  It's entirely possible that the machines now on the market are better.  My main complaint was cleaning it - it took half of my small apartment kitchen floor to take the contraption apart and clean it.  And like another person reported, my cat peed against the sides, and it's not designed for that. After we threw it out, we went back to a conventional box and clumping litter and were much happier.  

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Anyone have one of these machines? what do you think about them? Are they worth the money? What are the pros and cons. so many out there but reviews are not the best. I have one cat  in  small apartment and her litter box and the litter are really a mess and smelly. hate a litter box in my livingroom--

thanks---

@wagirl 

When I got my cat we already had a dog, so it was best to get him a Clevercat box.  It has the lid that covers the box with a big open circle for getting in and out.  Bogey had the hang of it in less than a day; no problem.  The reason a covered box was better was because dogs sometimes try to fish through the litter and eat the cat poop because it's high in protein!  (I had no idea!)

As for litters, I've tried many ... and these days, I mix sWheat Scoop litter with Vibrant Life mini crystals (Walmart) and never have a problem with smell.  Both are unscented, and have really good odor control. 

===============

Just an FYI for anyone reading this ....  clay litter can be very problematic for cats

Long story short ... One woman wrote about her precious kitty dying, it was well cared for, and she was devastated.   She had the $$ to pay for an autopsy, so she had one done.  Her cat had died from an intestinal blockage!   The vet determined that after cats use the litter box, they can have litter particles on their fur, which can be licked off and swallowed during grooming.  This woman's cat had been accumulating microscopic clay particles in it's stomach, until it became a blockage ... and the cat died from that. 

So, just an FYI ..... something to consider.

Honored Contributor

A huge thank you to all that responded---I needed first hand experiences as well as reviews to help me decide that I will not be wasting $$ on one of these things---sure sounds like a great invention---dealing with litter normally isn't a big deal except I broke my ankle a few weeks ago and cannpt do much of anything for awhile--DD has been cleaning it  lately---she just HATES that job but who loves it. ? I would trade that job for a healed ankle anyday!!!!Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 --Also something to remind everyone about---those plug in air fresheners like the wall flowers from body works---can be deadly for cats too--my cat got so sick from one of those, that I had her in the vets for a week needing iv fluids, anti nausea shots, blood labs-- all due to one I plugged into the wall--had a fever, stopped eating and drinking--she was a very sick girl and cost my many hundreds of $$ too. DD just happened to read that warning--we took out that plug- in and within 2 days, the cat was back to normal----

Trusted Contributor

I know someone who had the automatic litter box.  She liked it but one of her cats would not go in and it was because the sound it made scared him.  

Honored Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

I know someone who had the automatic litter box.  She liked it but one of her cats would not go in and it was because the sound it made scared him.  

@Tadaki 

I have heard that a few times and wondered why the manufacturer didn't do more real life testing to get feedback from cat parents.