Honored Contributor

Why do dogs lick their paws?

Keep seeing this on line.  Don't read it, usually a come on, and drives me nuts. Or nuttier, whichever.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do dogs lick their paws?

@qualitygal I do not know what that article says but that is a major sign of anxiety and my current dog experiences this.  Some dogs hjave it so bad thjat they lick their paws until they actually lick their fur off!

Honored Contributor

In addition to what Pook said, they also clean their paws, get an itch, or deal with a minor scrape by licking them.

Honored Contributor

@Pook  & @CalminHeart   Most I've read said it was an allergy.  Now I wonder. Good to know.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  Do you mean A "Because they Can". type of thing or REALLY want to know?

Could be and Irritant. Wild Dogs need to chase after their dinner.  No foot, no eat.

Could be Allergies. We get sneezing They get Itchies.

Could be anxiety/bordom as was said before.  Pup just doesn't know what else to do.  

Then they create irritation and itch.  They itch cause they lick and they lick cause they   

itch.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine   No, I really want to know.  Next vet visit, I'll ask the vet too.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  Yeah, I Did think that you really wanted to know.  I was just tossing that in there  because of the " Come on." mention in your first post. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal With our dog, it was a food allergy. Vet said probably to chicken, which he says is quite common in dogs. We changed his food to a salmon-based product and that helped a lot---but he also has skin sensitivies (also somewhat common in Great Pyrenese, which he is half). Ended up putting him on Apoquel--problems solved!

Respected Contributor

I'd be interested to see what a Vet would say about that.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal 

To get the good stuff off!